Rounded off bolt in crap spot...ideas?

Heza

DSC04804.jpg

yes, those are the rear camshaft sprocket bolts. fronts came off perfect, those did not.

TRIED: heating/cooling, socket, wrench, vice grip, craftsman bolt-off

WILL ATTEMPT: carving the bolt head off with Dremel and then taking bolt out after pulley is off. do not have welder to weld on another bolt, so not an option.

i need more inputs please!

Try pipe wrenches. Those fuckers bite good. I use a pipe wrench to get out seatbelt bolts in older cars where the torx bit is rounded off from twisting the socket in them.

BTW, if that doesn't work your only option left is to drill it or pull the head. They sell a "snake" that attaches to your regular drill and is less than 1" long w/o the bit.

Before grinding anything, I'd recommend making your timing belt and the whole area as protected as possible, so no metal shavings or other debris or damage happens to it.

I do like your idea of grinding the head off and removing the rest of the bolt given that there is enough room on the bolt to make flat spots on it, or do whatever else you plan on doing to it. You'd still have to immobilize the cam somehow and I'm not certain how you would do that.

naturally, id protect from metal shavings. all four cams are locked with cam tools. front cam sprockets off. but i think cutting the bolt head off will be best as there will be plenty of bolt left to grip and twist out of the cam.

im trying to avoid the drill method as my dewalt was pilfered from me and im not about to go buy another just for this dilemna so the snake idea is not favored at the moment.

Heres what you need. mbx13.jpg

This is exactly what I need to get off the oil-pan drain bolt on wifey's 2.7L Sebring. Who sells this kit? Does Craftsman carry it?

Those are Matco, which means on the Matco Tool Truck only.

Sears, however, does sell bolt outs. I got a 5 piece set for Christmas, but I have seen bigger sets there.

I'll have to run over to Sears and check. That goddam oil pan bolt must have been torqued on by a gorilla, it's so tight. I rounded it pretty bad using vise-grips.

Thanks for the info.

I love this group, I'm forever picking up useful stuff from you all--thanks a lot!!

Those are Matco, which means on the Matco Tool Truck only.

Sears, however, does sell bolt outs. I got a 5 piece set for Christmas, but I have seen bigger sets there.

Looks like you can buy a set here:

http://www.mactools.com/Mac/Mac+Products/Catalog/Hand+Tools/Cutting-Scraping/Screw+Extracting/TS450

Never ordered online from them tho..

A six-point socket, long ratchet handle or breaker bar, and a really big hammer?

exactly my words. never use a 12 point socket lol. If a 6 point did that then ouch

maybe the picture is not accurately showing the extent of the damage here, but it *looks* like a good 6 point socket should take it right off, I believe the correct size for it is 15mm, a 14mm 12pt pounded on might get it off perhaps?

those bolt-outs are amazing... provided you have enough room to really pound it on the bolt so it grips good, and getting it down in there would be difficult. one of those saved me a ton of trouble on a very stripped cradle bolt.

also, you do not need to remove the lowest rear cam cog to do a standard timing belt job, in fact on a 91-93 car you cannot. so need be you could get away with that.

i agree, that doesnt look that damaged. i would try to avoid cutting off those bolts. but i dont see how you would get and easy-off to work on there cuz you need to be able to hammer it on real good or all your going to do it chew the shit more. smaller 12pt might be best option but i dont see how youll hammer that on either