I have a wiring question. Need help please!

90TGP

I have some aftermarket gauges I'm going to install over the weekend. I want to hook up the 12v wire coming from the gauge(s) [Autometers] to the drivinglight switch [the one below the headlight switch on the left of the gauges] so that I can turn the gauge lights on when I turn my driving lights on. How do I go about removing the switch panel so that I can connect my wires to it?

Next question. On my A/F ratio wiring diagram, it says that I have to hook up the 12v wire to a fuse and then to the ignition switch. I have an aftermarket cd player installed with a power antenna adapter for my factory power antenna. Could I hook up the gauge's power wire to the power antenna instead of splicing into the ignition wires? Since the antenna goes up/down when I turn the key, so the gauge would have power.

On my A/F ratio wiring diagram, it says that I have to hook up the 12v wire to a fuse and then to the ignition switch. I have an aftermarket cd player installed with a power antenna adapter for my factory power antenna. Could I hook up the gauge's power wire to the power antenna instead of splicing into the ignition wires? Since the antenna goes up/down when I turn the key, so the gauge would have power.

That is the smart thing to do. You want to, if possible, avoid tapping into such wiring.

Since the power to the antenna is a direct lead from the battery, there should be no problem.

Install that with a fuse for the gauge and you're all set.

[late thought]

However, does you antenna go down with car's ignition in the off position?

If so, you won't be able to splice into since that power wire is always 'hot'.

Might have to keep looking... I'll ask a co-worker where he spliced into and get back to you.

[/late thought]

- Erik

You may want to take a voltage reading on the power antenna lead. Ign. on and off. I had a Cutlass that when you shut off the engine, the voltage to the power antenna would reverse polarity to make it go down.

Then, if you ever turn off your radio, off go your gauges. :roll:

Don't use the power antenna lead on your radio. Since your back there anyway, there is a switched ignition lead going to your radio, use that instead. It's either a yellow or orange wire, can't remember which is the switched lead, but it's one of those.

like Luke said....theres a switched ignition wire under your dash. When i was putting in my car alarm I got a wiring diagram for the cutlass from 12volt's install bay web site and it tells you which wires are switched power and which ones go to the starter kill and all that. you can probably use those wires. I'll see if i can find you a link to the vehicle info database on that site if you want it.