Headlights - Choices?

runt

So, when I got the car back from the bodyshop they took out my 2 month old Silverstar and put in some regular bulb. That is fine (I guess) but the other side had the Silverstar and I could clearly see the difference. (After I reaimed the driver side of course :evil: )

Anyway, I know I can get Silverstars and SilverStar Ultras at Autozone, which I know how I am and I'll probably just end up doing that. But before I went that far, I wanted to know if there were any other suggestions that other people had. I had my old Silverstars in for well over 2 years and that was even with the DRL's on which was probably harder on them.

I know that in the end the BEST way would be to go full HID w/ ballast. Sadly I'm not paying that much for it. But if you know of something good, let me know.

I'm sure the body shop charged you or your insurance company $50 for the bulb and another $75 to install. I'd go back and slap some heads until they installed a Silverstar bulb.

As for my opinion, stay with Silverstar, I think they are the best option for quality and price.

Yeah...it's not that I don't like my Silverstars, I just want something brighter. I just read the thread over at the STi forum about lighting and reading some on Daniel Stern's site, but I think I'm pretty much shit outta luck!

i have silverstar ultras in my headlights and regular silverstars for foglights and i can see the difference in color between the two..i'd recommend the ultras for a good replacement!...i've had mine in for well over a year and havent had a failure yet!

Did any Grand Prix guys address the sub-par hi-beam issue? I've tried 3 different sets of bulbs in my sister's '02 GP, and they're still "meh" at best. I went thru Philips Ultra something, Sylvania Xtra vision, and then the regular sylvanias. Are Silverstars that much better for the 9007's?

Thing is ... what is the white color/temperature and are white to cold white headlamps legal in your area. Here they are not legal unless it's standard equipment.

Are there legal issues there?

I have yet to incur any legal issues. From everything I have seen/heard/read if they are D.O.T. approved they are legal in the state of PA. Granted, if they want to bust people for shitty unaimed lights, they should go after the ricer crowd who seems to enjoy putting driving/fog lights in for headlights, simply because they look "cool".

Now, I have not used anything BUT silverstars and stockers in the GP. When I did do the upgrade, I did notice a big difference, although I still think that the highbeams SUCK on these cars and I am probably going to wire in my foglights to be on with the highs. I know for a fact that isn't legal around here, but I don't care and I really shouldn't get bothered.

I'm just going to have to look around and see what I can find. I did notice somewhere that there was HIR for 9007's, but it was called a 9011 or something and said it was similar to the 9007's but wouldn't find the holder housings. I'm gonna have to look more.

[

The GP's don't use 9006. They use 9007 which is dual filament. I just stuck some random bulb in the car so I at least I now have 2 headlights.

My 96 Grand Prix uses the 9006. I thought that is what you were talking about. My bad. Philips might also make

a Xtreme 9007 bulb.

I have yet to incur any legal issues. From everything I have seen/heard/read if they are D.O.T. approved they are legal in the state of PA. Granted, if they want to bust people for shitty unaimed lights, they should go after the ricer crowd who seems to enjoy putting driving/fog lights in for headlights, simply because they look "cool".

Now, I have not used anything BUT silverstars and stockers in the GP. When I did do the upgrade, I did notice a big difference, although I still think that the highbeams SUCK on these cars and I am probably going to wire in my foglights to be on with the highs. I know for a fact that isn't legal around here, but I don't care and I really shouldn't get bothered.

I'm just going to have to look around and see what I can find. I did notice somewhere that there was HIR for 9007's, but it was called a 9011 or something and said it was similar to the 9007's but wouldn't find the holder housings. I'm gonna have to look more.

The HIR bulbs ARE 9011 and 9012 I think. They all have to be modified (very slightly) to fit the housing. The 9011 and 9012 are the same as the 9005 and 9006 in very other way IIRC...just the way they go in the housing needs to be modified (apparently a small file is all that's needed to get them to fit). I'm considering HIR bulbs in my Millenia this spring..we'll see

Make sure your headlights are aimed properly too - that makes a huge difference in beam pattern on the highway.

Well the decision why I didn't want to go HID is that I didn't want to blind the oncoming driver. This would be on a 96 Grand Prix sedan with separate hi and low beam bulbs. Would I have to blackout the lamp housing so it wouldn't blind other drivers.

Well the decision why I didn't want to go HIR is that I didn't want to blind the oncoming driver. This would be on a 96 Grand Prix sedan with separate hi and low beam bulbs. Would I have to blackout the lamp housing so it wouldn't blind other drivers.

they arnt that bright, i mean when aimed properly there shouldnt be that much light escaping the beam pattern, its not like the ricers as someon has stated ablve

Heres my opinion:

I bought Silverstars for my truck they worked great, liked the brightness. I just had one last me a 1 1/2 not good enough for me. I bought a set of bulk packaging Ultra's on ebay for my dad's Envoy. Those went out in 2 months. I have some Ultra's for the GP, so far so good.

Personally, I will not buy another Sylvania bulb ever again.

Now my buddy has HID's in his '97 GP. They are much better than stock, since the stock light pattern blows horribly IMO. But there is no low beam, and they aren't that much brighter, although they are alot better.

If you want the best I would get the HID conversion and do it. Especially if you're going to keep the car. I think I plan on getting these for my truck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nam.lighting.philips.com%2Fus%2Fautomotive%2Fproducts%2Fnightguide.php&ei=FJyCR8eYLYPYggKuofQ1&usg=AFQjCNHUNN6nrqMs3LPnKjDEQXiKaaJPHQ&sig2=T-FWKv7JCthNKRuj0iLs-A