Turbo/downpipe bolts

Bake82

Hey Guys,

Looking into getting some new turbo/downpipe bolts. I'm not completely convinced the ones I used in the fall are good enough to withstand the heat and torque they will go through come the summer, and since I need to remove the turbo anyways, I want to replace them.

Where did you guys buy them? Can I get them online? any specs I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

i bought mine from McMaster-Carr. i can't remember the specs right now. i beleive they are M8x1.25 and 25mm long. you might ask Skalor though, i think he's the one i got my info from before i ordered my bolts.

i bought mine from McMaster-Carr. i can't remember the specs right now. i beleive they are M8x1.25 and 25mm long. you might ask Skalor though, i think he's the one i got my info from before i ordered my bolts.

Anything special about them? I assume stainless, I thought you had mentioned way back when you were doing your build on your cutlass, they were not just your typical stainless bolt?

This is what Davis posted on the other board about those bolts.

"anyway i went with some M8-1.25 Hex Cap bolts (Allen Key) style ones."

I'd remove one of the bolts and take it to the store with you. Parts stores, hardware stores, etc. have little templates cut out that you can thread the bolt into and see what it is. :wink:

I've broken at least two of your spares you had sent me. in the turbine housing :cussing:

those bolts take a pounding with the heat, make sure you find the strongest ones you can. It wouldn't hurt to try and clean out the threads in the turbo so they don't have so much resistance... years of rust and heat fouls them up good.

m8 stainless hex bolts from a place called spanner or somethin g like that here in town. i used 4 at 25mm and 1 at 20mm (the bottom one was hard to work with with the longer one)

they were about a buck each

• 2 weeks later...

I've broken at least two of your spares you had sent me. in the turbine housing :cussing:

those bolts take a pounding with the heat, make sure you find the strongest ones you can. It wouldn't hurt to try and clean out the threads in the turbo so they don't have so much resistance... years of rust and heat fouls them up good.

huh they were brand new. i've removed my turbo several times with those bolts and they always came out no problem. the ones i bought were 316 stainless IIRC. i always used anti-sieze before installing them. i always got them pretty well snug but not he-man tight or anything.

btw, i know Skalor liked the SHCS (allen head) but i hated those! stripped the heads out way too easy IMO and i couldn't even get some of them in because my allen-key socket would interfere with the downpipe itself. i like using the HHCS (hex head) for ALL of the turbine-to-downpipe bolts...much easier to work with and harder to strip out.

not sure if anyone mentioned this already but the same size bolts are used for the crossover-to-turbine inlet.

• 3 weeks later...