OBDII Home Scaning

Redfox340

I need this for a friend, myself and the website.

What, in all mercy and grace, do you guys use at home to scan OBDII systems?

I know Autozone does it, but when the car is dead and miles away from civilization... then what?

Are there self running units / electronics to plug in and read the powertrain fault codes? Thanks!

- Erik

I just added a scan tool section on the 60v6 site:P Some timing eh:) I know there is a group working on OBD2 software for a laptop as well but I havent found it again. There are some palm pilot scanners for OBD2 though.

Harbor Freight has a handheld one that simply displays codes. It's normally $50 but is often on sale for $35-40.

That's all I need as long as there's a explaination / code reader book to compare.

Do you guys use any of these yourself?

Vegeta, thanks for the update! I'll make sure to read over all of them!

- Erik

I'd love to be able to find a program and cable unit to attach to my Pocket PC hand-held. Friggin' 95 Monte runs on the 1.5 Gen - utilizing OBD I, but cannot be read with a magic paperclip. Pity me, please.

Harbor Freight has a handheld one that simply displays codes. It's normally $50 but is often on sale for $35-40.

That's all I need as long as there's a explaination / code reader book to compare.

Do you guys use any of these yourself?

Vegeta, thanks for the update! I'll make sure to read over all of them!

- Erik

Nah, I haven't needed one yet. The only vehicle I have with an OBD-II connector is my truck, and it just plain doesn't have problems.

To get that code scanner I mentioned for $35, go to Harbor Freight and click on View Cart, then click on the Order From Printed Catalog button and enter the # 46030-4vga.