Digital Clusters are EVIL! Help?

Addicted To Boost

The digital cluster with analog gauges don't seem to get along well. I'm having another problem here..

When I first got my 89 GP SE, the oil pressure gauge was pegged way past 80PSI, so I pulled the clear face off the cluster and manually set the needle back to zero. As soon as I turned the key, it pegged itself to its limit again.. so I assumed that the oil pressure sensor was bad.

Today I decided to give the car an oil change, and while I had the car up on the lift, I replaced the oil pressure sensor with a new one (hey, it was only $7 :smile: ) Then I pulled the face on the cluster and reset the needle again. I turned the key again and the needle still pegs itself! What the heck is going on here?? I even took pics to document my misbehaving cluster! :lol:

This is what my gauge cluster looked like after I replaced the sensor and reset the needle.

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov32007001-1.jpg

Heres a short vid of what happened when I turned the key....

th_89GPgaugebeingbad.jpg

And a picture of what the gauge looked like after turning the key.

My89GPSEBEFOREPicsNov320072.jpg

BAD CLUSTER!!! :willynilly: Help anyone?... please? :willynilly:

I removed the long stock one and replaced it with a short one... the guy at O'reillys said it was for the cars with pressure gauges, not just the dummy light though... so he was wrong?

TGP Nick, I have a known working digital analog cluster. The odometer reads 177XXX. If you want it let me know. I wanted to retain the actual mileage on my car so I swapped out the digital for the full analog from a 92 so I could set the mileage to my actual mileage. I'll sel you the digital analog one I have just pm me. I also have a spare analoge cluster that works fine except for the odometer I can sell you as well. It is very rare to get an analog digital cluster where everything works.

Ken

Thanks for the offer cobra, but I don't really need to replace it, other than the oil pressure gauge problem, the cluster works fine. I would like to keep the cluster original if possible, shes starting to get up there in mileage (220K) and its kinda cool to see the original parts last.