Audio Newbie Question

ns87

I'm sorry this might make an experiences audio person cringe, but here we go:

I'm installing a new deck. I'm using a harness adaptor ( :thumb:). I would like my stereo to work whether the key is in the ignition or not. On my stereo side of the plug, there are two Postive power wires:

Red: Switched Power

Yellow: Constant Power

If I hook them both up to a constant power (seperate spots), with the face plate detached and the stereo off, do you think it will drain my battery? I don't have a multi-meter or anything. Thanks a lot guys

that depends on the deck, but I would think that it wouldn't drain the battery, since when the faceplate is off it'll turn off after so many seconds. only one way to find out for sure though :lol:

using my knowledge of experience with decks and such, I would bet that it would work the way you're wanting. I don't really see the point (IMO), but it should work.

Simply put, no drain on battery if the face place and stereo turned off. Since you are using a wiring harness I would say just connect the red and yellow together, then just connect it to the red wire on the harness. Leave the yellow unconnected on your wiring harness.

Edit : If you hooked it up to a multimeter you would get really really low MILLI amps for reading as the deck is still using power to remember the clock info and stuff, but that would never drain a battery enough to kill.

Edit : If you hooked it up to a multimeter you would get really really low MILLI amps for reading as the deck is still using power to remember the clock info and stuff, but that would never drain a battery enough to kill.

Which he would get even if it was hooked up properly, too.

You just know if you did this, there would be at least ONE time you completely forget and leave the stereo on. :lol: I did this once with my autodim rearview mirror, I hooked it to the radio wiring, and hooked the 12v to the constant rather than the switched. I had an Optima battery, but when we'd drive the Malibu for a couple days, I'd always find the battery dead because I'd forget to switch the mirror off. :lol: