Deep cycle battery - SVR

boulevard

So I've had Christine parked for a few weeks behind my apartment building. She's been there with no power. The SVR battery I have has run down some how. I first thought that I had left something on, or maybe even the digital cap on my Rockford Fosgate capacitor could drained the battery also. I attempted to jump Christine this morning and about after 5 minutes of letting the cables sit she cranked over. I removed the cables and secured the secondary vehicle. I got in Christine and proceeded to backup her up so I can drive her around the block a few times. As I pulled out of the driveway she stalled. I turned the key and she wouldn't even click. I pushed her onto the street while my wife turned the wheel and got her parked out front now. i called my buddy John Lee and he said I have to deep charge the battery for 10 hours and to not jump Christine with cables.

I don't get it. I had her running, she died instantly, total lose of power.

Do I have a bad battery and need to replace it?

Should I deep cycle the battery?

What am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm rushing this but I do need my car for tomorrow.

I'd make sure that your alternator is charging properly.

And.... definately sounds like you have a drain. Not a big drain, however, since it took a few weeks for it to get it low enough not to start.

I started up my GTP with my booster pack. Samething, I moved it turned it off so i could clean her off than went to start her back up and nothing. My booster was out of juice. I would try using a trickler battery charger. Let it sit for overnight and it should be good. But its hard to say if you have a drain or not. Leaving my car off for 4 weeks and it wouldnt start up.

My Lumina sat May-September without being touched and it started right up like it does every morning after sitting for 4 months.. you guys either have weak batteries or something is drawing

Yes. You NEED To Trickle Charge It. It Was Drained Slow So It Needs To Be Charged Slow. At Least A Few Days At Around 2 To 5 Amps I'd Say. And Make Sure You Got A Good Battery. No Sense In Making The Alt Work That Much Harder To Charge A Dead Battery. Only Gonna Make Replacing The Alt Come Around That Much Sooner.

personally I would take it out of the vehicle, trickle charge it then take it and get it tested, thats the quickest, most accurate way to know for sure.

Please don't make you alt. charge up a dead battery. Its not meant to do that and will overheat, if it even turns on to charge it. If the battery isn't putting out enought volts some alts won't even come on to charge it. Put it on a Slow charge like 2-5amps and get it back up then get it tested just to be sure.

My GTP came with an Interstate Battery... Dont know if its good or bad. Doesnt seem like a top brand to me.

My car came with that, and it only lasted two years before it left me stranded. I was told afterwords it was a cheap battery and the wrong size for my car

Well I desided to deep cycle charge it for 10 hours. Im also getting a Diehard Gold for under the hood and then putting this SVR battery in my trunk for my stereo and amps and junk. I think this would work best. The battery was slow drained some how. Should be fine after it gets deep cycle charged. Thanks for the advice.

My GTP came with an Interstate Battery... Dont know if its good or bad. Doesnt seem like a top brand to me.

My car came with that, and it only lasted two years before it left me stranded. I was told afterwords it was a cheap battery and the wrong size for my car

My Dad's Suburban came with one in 2002 when we bough it, removed it in 2005 because it was showing signs of being weak (lighting glow plugs and cranking over the 6.5TD is hard work i guess...replaced this battery and the original AC delco one with two new ones)..I put the Interstate in my RX-7 at that point since my battery was dead in it and it was the correct size (obviously way to small for the Suburban)...been in my RX-7 ever since..I start the car a few times a season...never have had to boost the car yet to start it.

1. Alternators on cars are meant to MAINTAIN the battery charge. They are NOT meant to fully-charge a nearly-discharged battery. Modern alternators are even worse than early versions in this regard. The alternator may be rated for "100 amps" or something ridiculous like that--but it's only capable of throwing that much current for a very short time.

You surely do need to slow-charge that battery until it's fully charged--the Open Circuit Voltage (OCV) should be around 12.6 volts AFTER the surface charge has been removed. A "12-volt" battery that has only 12.2 volts is actually only about half-charged.

The ONLY way to verify the condition of a battery is a proper load test--but--the equipment is more expensive than most home-shop D-I-Y folks will spend. A COMPLETE battery/charging/starting team test is STRONGLY recommended; and available at most any shop that still employs people who can think.

2. Any company can have a defective product, or one that is just plain worn-out--but--Interstate is among the BEST batteries.