Shave a GP coupe door handles and add Sedans handles

timdjohn

Well basically as the title says. I am seriously thinking of trying to shave the stock pillar handles and add the Sedans handles in there place in a normal place. What all do you guys think? I am also shaving the trunk lock and putting the 2007 Arrowhead over it.

The Stock Door Handles Are One Of My Fav Styling Cues Of W's. It Gives A Sweet Shaved Look. Don't Mess With That And Reverse It. Look How Many People Want The Shaved Look, And We Already Have It Stock!

The Stock Door Handles Are One Of My Fav Styling Cues Of W's. It Gives A Sweet Shaved Look. Don't Mess With That And Reverse It. Look How Many People Want The Shaved Look, And We Already Have It Stock!

x2. I think it would be retarded myself and be too much work. If you want that look, might as well match the rest of that ugly look and get the extra 2 doors to go with it.

x2. I think it would be retarded myself and be too much work. If you want that look, might as well match the rest of that ugly look and get the extra 2 doors to go with it.

QFT 2 door 1st gen GPs are some of the cleanest looking cars out there as-is IMO

well I take it most current 1 gen owners do not like that idea. :eek: I gues the main reason is I have gone thru 2 handles in 2 years. I was reading in another post on here somewhere others have thought of trying to strengthen the handle by adding some sort of brace to it to avoid the broken handle. I should take a look into that I guess. The handles were just GM's typical thing they did in the 80's. Good idea crappy execution. The handle should have been designed as 2 parts. that way the handle itself could still have been pot metal and the lever could have been steel. it saved probably .50 cents each car to cast as one piece but x's by the # of cars built it comes to big money, but big complaints as well. :rolleyes:

ive broke one in 4 years, after my roommate cranked on it cuz he thought it was frozen, but really the mechanism inside was just loose, making it not work right every time, you had to pop it a few times, but not any more!

It's his second fav styling cue... the first is that 14" inch dildo that "GM" bolted right in the middle of his bottom driver seat pad.

It's his second fav styling cue... the first is that 14" inch dildo that "GM" bolted right in the middle of his bottom driver seat pad.

you mean that optional pussy pacifier? :eek:

First, like everyone else said, don't do it, the door handle in the "usual" spot would destroy the look of the GPs.

Second, I've yet to break a single handle, this includes on cars I have reefed on in the wreckers. On my personal car I avoid using it to open the heavy ass doors. I pull the handle and once the door pops I use the door itself to open it. Inconvenient, yes, but I will likely never have to replace the drivers handle due to a broken one. (Passenger could still get broken cause I can't control how everyone opens the passenger door.

Third, IF I did break one I would probably look into getting a billet piece made. I think it would be stronger than the handles on the car because they are just a porous die cast material, if I'm not mistaken.

Jamie

First, like everyone else said, don't do it, the door handle in the "usual" spot would destroy the look of the GPs.

Second, I've yet to break a single handle, this includes on cars I have reefed on in the wreckers. On my personal car I avoid using it to open the heavy ass doors. I pull the handle and once the door pops I use the door itself to open it. Inconvenient, yes, but I will likely never have to replace the drivers handle due to a broken one. (Passenger could still get broken cause I can't control how everyone opens the passenger door.

Third, IF I did break one I would probably look into getting a billet piece made. I think it would be stronger than the handles on the car because they are just a porous die cast material, if I'm not mistaken.

Jamie

I am thinking that the guys who say they have never broken a handle have the GM made parts. I will admit the ones that broke on me we the cheapo eBay crapo made by 8 year old Chinese. :evil:

When you go to the wreckers in this area 9 out of 10 w's I've looked at are missing their pillar door handles. One wreckers I know of takes the handles off the cars, refurbishes them and sells them, they have them strapped to a board in their lobby.

And yes, mine are GM equipment, if one broke I wouldn't replace it with anything less. You can pick them up cheaper at a wreckers than you can on e-bay. You just need a big enough tool box, lol.

Jamie

Jamie

Thats what I do too, only use the doorhandle to pop the door, then use the door itself to open the door and I've never broken a doorhandle. You wont bend or break em if you only use em to pop the door.

Thats what I do too, only use the doorhandle to pop the door, then use the door itself to open the door and I've never broken a doorhandle. You wont bend or break em if you only use em to pop the door.

which is why even though mine has been a little bent for the last 2 years, it hasnt broke until someone else used it :rolleyes:

why not just shave everything? who needs door handles anywhere? and the trunk key hole cover, been there, done that, i was too lazy to actually shave it, so i just covered it with the emblem, and my keyless entry didnt work, so i used a drill press and just drilled a whole big enough in the middle to fit the key into it.

IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0001-2.jpg

i've broke 2 handles in 4 years, first one was bent to hell when i got the car, put a used bent one on it, broke it last winter when it was frozen shut and i yanked on it too hard, i have a tiwanese replacement on it now because it was fast to get, and not $160+ that the dealer wants.

I haven't ever had a door handle break, ever, and I have 167,500 miles on my regal. I believe they use the exact same door handles.

I also shaved the rear trunk lock because my trunk was broken into and they messed it all up.

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

Cost me $90 to get it shaved off, have a metal plate tack welded onto the back of where the lock was previously, have it filled with bondo, and repainted. Looks pretty clean too. I took it to a guy Boulevard knows who also did his whole car after it was wrecked.

I dont see what the compaint here is, I have broken MORE of the other handle types than these. Walk up to early 90's gps (4doors) and usually half of the door handle is busted. I think ppl just need to be a little nicer to their cars.