FIRST POST ON THE BOARD.

PGP88SE

hello to all.i was a member of this forum quite a few years ago.i havent visited for about 4-5 years.i kinda retired my 88se to toy status after swapping the engine to a v-8 caddy and leaving it hooked to the factory 5 spd.i devoted a few years to my gto and didnt keep up with the w-body board since i wasnt driving one on a daily basis anymore.i am proud to say that after a 91 bonne and a 93 transport,i have again gottem into another w-body a 2002 grand prix gt.

to keep this short and get to the point,i know this is a great place for info on w-bodies and seem to recall when i was doing my v-8 conversion,around the time ASG was doing them,someone that was a member of this forum was starting to make a shifter setup that allowed manual shifting and was working on a paddle shifter setup.it was for the 97-00 era w-bodies.i cant remember alot of the details but i know it was a topic that had alot of people talking.they had figured out how to run an extra comp. to control the trans.does anyone know anything about this?

i love my 02 gt but i really dont care for the hesitation when acellerating out of a corner.thought a paddle shift setup would be great for what i am looking to achieve.any info would help.

wow guess it has been awhile since ive been here.i wish i could remember more about this,at the time it wasnt much to me as i had the 5 spd and not an automatic.does anyone remember ASG and the videos that were posted here way back when about the 5.0 series one and two swaps?they done a lumina and at 35mph kick down it would light up a set of bfg drag radials.i am trying to remember when this was an big thing,the 3.4 dohc engines were still popular in the w-bodies then,the 3.8 were just starting,and everyone was doing 3.4 dohc or 3800 sc swaps then.

i am interested in doing a paddle shift mod to my gp but dont have the equipment to start from scratch and deal with the computer issues that need to be addressed.

thanks for the welcome backs.hope to stick around longer this time and be a benifit to the board.i own 4 gps right now one 84 g-body,my 88se,a 94se,and my 02 gt.i will try to dig up some info on the old ASG swaps too.i dont think they have their site anymore,and if anyone knows,i might be mistaken but wasnt ASG involved with mclaren on the buick GNX and the turbo gp?

From what I gather the paddle-shift thing came to an unsatisfactory conclusion.

You (since you have an 02 GT) CAN get software to reflash your PCM though (USED DHP or new HP Tuners stuff), and a little massaging of the shift tables can allow for FULL manual control...............and since you DO have a 7 position gear selector :wink:

It's VERY easy to make it so that "1" means 1st gear and ONLY 1st gear, and holds it right to the limiter.............same for "2".

"3" and "D" use the same shift table however, with "3" just having no way to access 4th gear/OD................but since 3rd gear is good for WELL over 130mph on a stock FDR (3.29) L36 car, somehow I doubt that'll be any kind of an issue :lol:

well the only issue i really have is my normal route to work has a few curves,i like to play,and the 35mph s curves i can handle at 70 easy no issue.after the s curve its brake then 15mph curve that i can hang at 40 with comfort and 45 if i push it.this is my issue.at 35-45mph coming out of the curve pressing the gas the car starts to acel,then boom drive,then boom second,by this time i am 2-3 cars links from the apex all excitement is lost.now if i pull the shifter into 2nd right before the curve and acel out its great,i just thought if the paddle shift was still a possiblity i would look into it.

maybe its for the best,a paddle shifter would only get me in trouble sooner or later.

For some reason I can recall someone discussing a paddle shifter setup years ago. I remember thinking it would be sweet to have in my 93 Lumina, lol. I don't think anything ever came of it though.

I assume you still got your 88? If you do, you should post some pictures. I'm sure lots here would love to see the V8/5 speed setup you've got.

Welcome back!