finally going-signal switch

Lee

After 6 years of no electrical problems my left signal on the switch is going out. I'll flip it down and the blinker doesn't kick on. Push the stalk forward and it'll kick in. It is intermitent right now. Seems to do it when it's warmer out.

Main problem....I had to use epoxy on the horn button because three of the 4 tabs were broken off when I got it off ebay. Mmmmmm. I even cleaned the contacts last year when I put the thing on.

My passengerside rear strut is out again too. They're lasting 1 year, (2 times now) I doubt that I get another free one. It was a two year warrentee on the first one. I'm thinking of just having the one replaced and when they say both should be done I'll say "no bucks, and it won't last more than a year anyway."

Last year I got the struts free but bought new mounts and paid labor.

I checked later with the shop. They are Gabrials.....don't buy em. I don't know that they are lousy, probably my car causing it but I'm just trying to get a year or two more from it.

To me, Gabriel has always been the suspensions industries D student. Get Monroes, or AC Delco. I have Delcos on the back of my CS, they came with new mounts, $50 a piece.

if a rear strut goes out...does it make a jolting noise...or something like that. whenever i hit big bumps, my car doesn't make a clunking noise...however, small jolting bumps, it clunks. i'm fairly certain it's not my ADDCO bar, because i fixed that problem. just would like to know because i have no ideas on the matter.

The first time they stayed quiet, just wore out and the backend jumped sideways over bumps on curves.

Second time the strut froze and rammed the shaft up into the trunk.

This time it is an annoying rattling with some minor clunking. Everything under there seems tight. It quiets when braking and the forces of decelleration pressure the car forward but the brakes are tight in every way. My 7 year old son eared it up while I was driving and it's deffinately from the strut area.

I'm just going to replace the one before winter and be done with it.

It's a distributing sompany the dealership I work for uses. I'm not sure if that's the price for everyone or not. I'll get the name of the business and if they sell to private parties if you'd like.

Yes, please do! The ass end of the convertible is squeaking/creaking in corners and since the leaf spring bushings look fine, I'm suspecting the struts.

Well, here's their phone #. 1-800-666-0953 It's D&M Distributing, out of Grand Forks, ND. I got the # right out of the yellow pages, so it's not just a distributor. I do like the struts though, they come with soft rubber offroad boots, way better than those gay hard plastic things. If only they had the fronts.... Oh well, the Z needs rears something fierce as well.

Found out something interesting yesterday. My parents' lumina has always been VERY hard on struts, and it also felt like the rear spring was really worn out. I was talking to a parts guy at the store I frequent, and he told me about a bulletin that GM put out about dirt collecting in the rear bumper. Turns out the rear bumpers, lumina for sure but all the others as well I bet, can get loaded up with up to 500 punds of dirt. The bulletin actually warned techs to not be under the bumper when you unbolt it because of the weight. This makes a lot of sense, because since we got the Lumina in 92 the bumper cover has been pushed up in the center on top. Holy, I can totally see how there could be at least 200lbs of dirt in there. Looks like it's time to do a little R&R rear bumper on the Lumi. Something to look into if you're trying to lose some weight off your W.

Um...upon removal of my original rear bumper with approx 170 thousand miles of driving, I found 1 leaf. Might have been oak so it didn't affect driveability. Run it by me again how 500 pounds of dirt can just collect and stay in the bumper? I think the Luminas bumper is in a class by itself.

I used Gabriels in the past and HAD the SAME problem.. they last about 1 year and go out.. I do not recommend them anymore... I love the KYB GR2's I have now.

We have gabriels in our jeep Grand Cherokee and they have lasted about 2 years so far, they seem to be pretty good light duty truck shocks. I personally like monroes for cars. Woo Hoo Platinum Member!

Well, sure enough, pulled the back bumper off the parents' 92 euro today. found at least 150 lbs of gravel in the plastic eggcrate portion of the bumper. My dad helped me remove it, needless to say he was surprised when I put it back on by myself, and pleased with how the lumi now sits about 2" higher in back... So I'd say it's worth a shot to anyone that drives gravel roads, or if the car used to drive gravel. There was so much shit in there.... I took pics, but the digicam is being a whore right now, it's on my parents' computer, so hopefully I can get some pics of the mountain of dirt and the bumper full of gravel, as well as the level lumi before I leave for the week again. Time to realign the headlights in the lumina, and probably start all over with the Z pretty soon, that thing sits really damn low in the back too.... damn I'm drunk......