Need help about Top Speed

Lonewolf

My 91 5 speed LQ1 (with the factory AYCD chip) hits 124mph GPS verified when the governor calls it quits.

This is with 245/50R16 Kumho 711's, and it puts me at 6600ish rpm in 4th, or 4350 rpm or so in 5th (although lately, my tach has been getting more and more optimistic).

Now with my original 225/60R16 Goodyear's, it would go 127-128mph.............but that's only because they are ~3% taller tires.

Funny thing is, my speedometer only reads 121ish (*just* past the 120 hash).

Either way, an ungovered LQ1 5 speed should be capable of mid to high 130's (140mph TOPS) given room..............with 245/50R16 equiped cars being a little bit quicker due to the slight gearing advantage (because this puts you at high rpm, thus allowing you to have a touch more available power).

So yeah............buy a chip off of Ben at 60* and you'll have yourself a solid 135+mph Cutlass.

Good To Hear From Someone On The Other Side Of The World! Got More Pics Of The Car?

Here you've got some....Greets Ralf

Ralf, what a great looking car! I think first gen 2-doors look pretty unique on the American road these days--your car must look awesome auf der Autobahn!

• 2 weeks later...

I hit 110 in my lumia twice last week but let out because there were other cars around and the State Police headquarters is about 2 minutes from where I'm hitting 110. Doesn't take very long to get there either. I leave it in D and it doesn't shift out of third till 105.

wow, that cutlass looks amazing!

My 91 5 speed LQ1 (with the factory AYCD chip) hits 124mph GPS verified when the governor calls it quits.

This is with 245/50R16 Kumho 711's, and it puts me at 6600ish rpm in 4th, or 4350 rpm or so in 5th (although lately, my tach has been getting more and more optimistic).

Now with my original 225/60R16 Goodyear's, it would go 127-128mph.............but that's only because they are ~3% taller tires.

Funny thing is, my speedometer only reads 121ish (*just* past the 120 hash).

Either way, an ungovered LQ1 5 speed should be capable of mid to high 130's (140mph TOPS) given room..............with 245/50R16 equiped cars being a little bit quicker due to the slight gearing advantage (because this puts you at high rpm, thus allowing you to have a touch more available power).

So yeah............buy a chip off of Ben at 60* and you'll have yourself a solid 135+mph Cutlass.

i have a 5 speed z34 and i remember in high school passing one of my friends who drove an auto 92 honda prelude when he said his speedo read 140ish. obviously thats not verified or anything and i had no idea since my speedo was wrapped. i think his speedo went up to like 160 or 170, (i wonder why the hell they go that high on those cars lol) but i think i figured on 125-130 at the time. i had on stock size tires at 225/60/16. i don't remember if i had ben's chip yet or not but it never cut out. 135-140 tops seems about right to me

btw i was in germany once for 10 days and when we were on the autobahn in our bus we were getting blasted past by minivans going over 100 mph and the nicer, more capable cars were just crazy. I would love to drive on the autobahn.

funny story....

with my tuner i removed the stock gov (118mph) i've never been one to push my car that fast anyway but last year i decided to push it. as all happy when i hit 120 but then i hit 121 and the car shifted to 4th! the math worked out to be something like 1200 or something rediculusly low for that speed... the car bogged down and started to misfire... i was data logging and wasnt watching the laptop when it happend... i was afraid i blew something up... the SES was flashing and chills then thru me....

i took the next exit and turned off the car... and opened the data log. saw KR and Misfires and a P300 code (random MF)

when i got home i did an indepth look at the log and found the issue. after graphing the shift tables i found the prob. Not really a prob cause GM gov'd the car at 118 the car would never hit 121 so it was a safe limit to the table. needless to say my new shift tables are Dead on... although it prob will be some time before i try to push the car that fast again. and with my new 3.73 gears and the 245/40-17's i run the equivilent gear ratio works out to something like 4.10 if i had stock tires.... the car is great around town and not too bad on the HW. but im sure my HW mpg sucks now. in town actually got better! cause i can cruse in 4th and OD hehehe

funny story....

with my tuner i removed the stock gov (118mph) i've never been one to push my car that fast anyway but last year i decided to push it. as all happy when i hit 120 but then i hit 121 and the car shifted to 4th! the math worked out to be something like 1200 or something rediculusly low for that speed... the car bogged down and started to misfire... i was data logging and wasnt watching the laptop when it happend... i was afraid i blew something up... the SES was flashing and chills then thru me....

i took the next exit and turned off the car... and opened the data log. saw KR and Misfires and a P300 code (random MF)

when i got home i did an indepth look at the log and found the issue. after graphing the shift tables i found the prob. Not really a prob cause GM gov'd the car at 118 the car would never hit 121 so it was a safe limit to the table. needless to say my new shift tables are Dead on... although it prob will be some time before i try to push the car that fast again. and with my new 3.73 gears and the 245/40-17's i run the equivilent gear ratio works out to something like 4.10 if i had stock tires.... the car is great around town and not too bad on the HW. but im sure my HW mpg sucks now. in town actually got better! cause i can cruse in 4th and OD hehehe

We've had some shiftpoint discussions before, but I'd remap the 3-4 shift to hold 3rd to at LEAST 6K rpm (the "limit" of the 3-4 shift for the 60 and 65-E trannies according to GM).

And that's in "D"...........if I was actually wanting max performance (such as a long pull down a track's front straight or in a hwy pull against another car), I'd be holding 3rd gear manually to 6500+ rpm.........something that a STOCK LQ1 car might not do, although I'm SURE your 3.73 geared (with a few power mods too) Monte could easily hit.......