weird charging system problem

pwmin

so, on sunday night, my GP quit charging. It would start charging again randomly and would sometimes way overcharge. I replaced the alternator and ran the car for at least an hour and it was still charging good. Then, this morning, I start it up and it's not charging. However, if I step on the accelerator and get the RPM's up just a little off idle, it will charge just fine. Does that sound like an ECM problem or does it have something to do w/ having a 96 engine and alt in a 91 or is there something else? I upgraded the battery cables to 4ga as well as the charging post wire and added a 4ga wire from the alt to the charging post. I'm also running an Optima yellow top, all of which was done a long time before i experienced any weird problems. I'm thinking its just the alt. acting up and the old one went out cuz of all the snow i've been driving through as it has no inner fender splash guard to keep shit off of it.

sounds like a good possibility, and that you're onthe right track. The pulley isn't sticking, is it? that might cause some weird charging issues, like sometimes not charging, and then charging, etc

Are all the wires secure in the clip-in connector? Is the connector making good contact? A friend had a 3100 that had intermitant problems that eventually resolved themselves! Alt checked good, battery was fair, but okay. Belt was a little loose. I tightened that for her and that was a temp fix. When her mechanic worked on it, same thing--fussed around a little, then it worked okay. I don't think he or I fixed anything. I think we bumped something that was making a poor connection. Then she siezed the motor for lack of coolant so we never really had to solve that problem! :lol:

well, new alt started doing the same thing, so i'm pretty much ruling out alternator and gauges. i tested the voltage and the gauges were reading pretty close no matter if it was charging, not charging or overcharging. i am going to have the old alt bench tested, but i doubt both could be bad and doing the same thing. does the ECM control when the alt charges like obd2?

i did recently upgrade all the wiring, so i doubt its that, but it could be. i'm going to recheck all of that. the starter is going bad, too, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. as far as the starter goes, i can get one from say an 01 Impala 3.4 and it will work, right?

i'm thinking its probably a problem with the splice when the p/o (before luke) wired in the 96 engine.

and, nevermind on the starter....newer dohc's got their own revised started (mine still has the old style)

I have a newer 3x00 starter on mine FWIW (96 block)

sweet, ill probably order both and see which one is better

you have a 96 alt, correct? what exactly did you have to do to run the wiring?