Car sitting in my drive way....

alphagtp

I do not have a car garage, and my car is not a daily driver, so it is parked in my driveway right now. My question is: with this bad weather here in Kc (snow,freezing rain, rain,etc) my car is getting all of this with out protection, should I take/clean off the snow/ice of it regularly? or it would not do any difference? I'm talking about paint, and any other unknown (to me) crazy problems :confused:

I threw a cover on mine, secured it down, and it's gonna sit like that for most of the winter.

like most of people :eek: I always leave everything to the last... I bought a car cover from sams and it was too big, I never return it or put it on my car, now the weather is BAD and I think that the cover needs to go on while the car is dry, correct me if wrong. my question is kinda like a temporary problem solver(until weather gets better)

Just leave everything alone. You're probably more likely to scratch something by continually brushing snow off. If you have any cracks in your paint it's possible mositure can get underneath and freeze..but if your paint is cracking you aren't saving much in the first place (IMO)

well, unless you get a water repellent one anyways, it's gonna get wet, but most are breathable. I figure as long as it keeps the snow and ice off, a bit of water isn't going to hurt anything as long as its not scraping or being moved around a bunch

I'd still throw the cover on. Too big is better than too small!!!!!

And IMO I'd just let the snow/ice stay on the car. Maybe make sure that the door seals and shit are dry, but removing the snow/ice with a brush or something scratches the heck outta the paint. Found that out last winter on my Lumina.

it's from wally world, pack it back in the box and take it back!!!!

if you don't have the box... go buy the correct size, put this one in that box, take a permanent marker and correct the checkmark indicating size.... and return!

I have Christine sitting behind my apartment building in a parking space without any type of coverage. She still has snow on her from last week and a film of ice over that. I wouldn't even dare to break that off of her. She'll sit like that till the snow melts and spring weather returns. I think I would do more damage, if any, to Christine’s paint if I attempted to remove each snow off of her. I just hope I'm doing the right thing.

my_tag.jpg

I have Christine sitting behind my apartment building in a parking space without any type of coverage. She still has snow on her from last week and a film of ice over that. I wouldn't even dare to break that off of her. She'll sit like that till the snow melts and spring weather returns. I think I would do more damage, if any, to Christine’s paint if I attempted to remove each snow off of her. I just hope I'm doing the right thing.

my_tag.jpg

no offense, but its slightly creepy for you too keep referring to your car as christine :leaving:

anyways, yeah, either throw the big one on once it's pretty dry, or do what 'ol Kenny said.

no offense, but its slightly creepy for you too keep referring to your car as christine :leaving:

anyways, yeah, either throw the big one on once it's pretty dry, or do what 'ol Kenny said.

That's my baby. Besides, it's easier saying Christine than my lumina. Too many people have Luminas and Lumina Z34s, but there is only one Christine.

If you have a cover, put it on, if you dont then dont. And just let it sit there until spring. Although please park it on asphalt or on a tarp so moisture does not get to the underbody and rust it.

if you do put a cover on, make sure that its secured donw with something or the first strong wind will pull it off, thats what happened to mine

I used my 3 ratched straps i had lying around with a couple slits cut into the cover (it's already a bit tattered anyways, and a few years old, so no biggie to me)

My car cover is so tattered now.... I use it as a top cover primarily, I open the hood and trunk and jamb it tight in both, so that it covers the car from the bottom of the glass front to rear. this being my 91 vert..... yeah.... nothing inside so it needs that done badly!

Here is what I did to store my old TGP outside.

I laid a tarp on the ground, drove the car over it. Closed windows, made sure doors were shut tight.

I pulled battery and left it UNCOVERED. ICE will do NO damage to your car if you just let it sit there. Want proof? See my old TGP now, it sat through the hot and cold(-40 celcius) weather for 4-5 months, no problems.

http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php?topic=4453.0

You can see swirls, but big deal, we all have swirls, no scratches, no dents or dings......

well it finally got dry outside(weather) over 40*, it felt good, I washed my car and put the cover on, about the wind, I just did some tricks so that the wire is tight, now all there is left is wait and see how it comes out, I'm not putting my car away, I will still drive it if we have some nice weekends :wink: thanks all for your help, I'll let you know what happens....

if you do put a cover on, make sure that its secured donw with something or the first strong wind will pull it off, thats what happened to mine

That and it will prevent the cover from rubbing on the paint and possibly taking some off.