Frost on the inside?

Q-Ball

Well I've never had this happen before, but a week ago and last night as I was leaving work, I had to scrap the outside windows AND the inside. The only thing I can think of is the snow melts in my car with what little heat I have and sticks to the window and freezes?

Anyone else have this problem or any resolutions?

yeah, I had this problem really bad, what helped for me is to get the car nice and hot (long trips work well for this) and when you park, crack all the windows open 1/2 inch and most of the humidity will rise with the warm air and it won't freeze on the inside near as bad.

i have this issue, but its due to my trunk leaking. maybe you have a leak somewhere?

that is exactly what happened on the winter beater i bought. the kid who owned it had a ricer wing on it and he took it off and left the holes in the truck lid gobbed with silicone. so i see the condensation inside the trunk and it makes the car fog up and freeze. definitely have a look to see if there are any holes in the truck, or anywhere else where the condensation could build up.

I had this happen to mine but only because I went the bank the day before and my window was froze. I tried to open it and it moved a bit but wouldn't come the whole way down. I figure there was some ice built up around the window and some air was getting in the seal. I just removed as much of the window ice as possible and it hasn't come back since.

The only time i have this happen is when snow gets sucked into the cowl by the windshield. What i usually do to prevent this is i switch the heat to recirculate while i let it warm up. This way, nothing gets sucked in while its warming up. I have never had things frost up inside when doing it this way.

I had a car that did this because there was a leak in the windshield that would cause water to pool in the rear passenger footwell. I cured it during the summer by leaving the windows open on hot days, but then I got the idea that you could put one of those buckets of silica sand (I think you can get these at the hardware store) in the trunk or wherever you had excess moisture after mechanically (a towel?) removing as much liquid as possible. Of course, you have to locate the moisture first.

I know, you do feel like an idiot scraping the inside of your windows. It's bad enough having to do the outside!

Yes, its absoulty retarded. I was the last person on my shift to leave work today! 20 min of scraping... Not to mention my brand new scraper works like crap.

I dont have a leak, never had problems in the summer with water leaks. I'm getting mixed responses. Some saying due to their window staying open and others say I should crack the window open? So what do I do, leave the windows open after I drive to work? I guess that would be the easiest thing to try first and maybe let the humidity out. And yes I have to bring a towel. Usually I just wipe the water off with my hat.

Any chance of a heater core leak?

[i had another car frost up from that. Hey--it was a 1976 Cutlass S! :gears: Actually it was a Gutless. 350/4V, but something like 2.33:1 gearing which helped mileage and killed performance.]

Any chance of a heater core leak?

[i had another car frost up from that. Hey--it was a 1976 Cutlass S! :gears: Actually it was a Gutless. 350/4V, but something like 2.33:1 gearing which helped mileage and killed performance.]

Maybe I do have a heater core leak or its clogged. My heat still takes forever to kick in. I better get my auto starter fixed... But before that I need to install that new 3x00 starter :leaving:

Your sucking snow in through the cowling. I have this problem with my truck. Like i said earlier, next time you start your car, put the setting on Max, to recirculate the air throughout the car, and keep it like that until it warms up. Give it a shot and i'm sure you'll see that it makes a difference.

this is an interesting thread....my spyder had this happen all last year and I couldn't figure the damn thing out....at least now I have a few ideas if it happens this year.....so far so good as of right now **knocks on wood**

Mine just started doing this with the weather change this week. Last weekend it was really cold and we had a bunch of snow/ice/freezing rain. Now it's a little warmer so things started melting.

I'll have to keep this stuff in mind.

Your sucking snow in through the cowling. I have this problem with my truck. Like i said earlier, next time you start your car, put the setting on Max, to recirculate the air throughout the car, and keep it like that until it warms up. Give it a shot and i'm sure you'll see that it makes a difference.

I've never seen snow being sucked through. My cowl has some snow, but its not burried.

Yeah my Lumina shoots snow through the defrost vents on the dash when I first start it and if I'm lazy and clear the windshield with the wipers..a ton of snow hits me lol...

I think you have it worse than me. :lol:

I've never seen snow being sucked through. My cowl has some snow, but its not burried.

You wont necessarilly see it being sucked in, if the cowling has some snow on it, then that could very well be the cause of of your problem. My w's have never really had this problem, probably because they were always parked in the garage in the winter, but my truck is a different story. If i dont put it on max while its warming up, the interior will frost up in a matter of seconds. Some vehicles just seem to have it worse than others. i really wish there was a way to have the defrost recirculate the air inside the vehicle. I think that would solve a lot of issues with interior fog and frost.

You wont necessarilly see it being sucked in, if the cowling has some snow on it, then that could very well be the cause of of your problem. My w's have never really had this problem, probably because they were always parked in the garage in the winter, but my truck is a different story. If i dont put it on max while its warming up, the interior will frost up in a matter of seconds. Some vehicles just seem to have it worse than others. i really wish there was a way to have the defrost recirculate the air inside the vehicle. I think that would solve a lot of issues with interior fog and frost.

It's not when the car starts up and gets frost or fog, its when it sits outside while I'm at work for 8 hours. I come back out and theres frost on the inside and outside. I did try leaving the windows down a little bit and it helped a lot. Ofcouse my luck it was a mild night and not below freezing. Last night I forgot to roll them down a bit and sure enough when I was done work, glorious frost.