GF needs a 1-Din CD Deck, name some good ones!

Brian P

So far I've generally narrowed it down to a few different models from JVC, Kenwood, and Pioneer. Main thing it has to be is easy to use. Clear, simple buttons, easy to remove and install the faceplate, and I prefer to have a model that allows CD insertion/ejection without tilting or removing the faceplate. My Kenwood has a motorized plate so that would be okay, but I saw some Kenwood CD players that you have to tilt/remove the plate manually to get a CD in. No way. Also a simple remote control is good.

It would also be nice to have an animated display, with a dolphin-like screensaver :lol: but not a priority. Price under $180.

Is JVC still a good name? They used to have durable receivers. I may pick up the HD radio model for her, I think she'd enjoy that. Price is decent at Circuit City, like $139.

I've got a JVC in my truck. I bought it used for 55 bucks, but i'm running it on the stock speakers so i didnt need something super high end. Its really simple to use, reads MP3/WMA, It has great reception, as well is satellite radio/iPod ready. For a simple, easy to use deck, its great.

There it is

KD-G320.jpg

Yeah, you know, they may not look the greatest, but I have probably the least amount of problems when I install as far as them coming back, or just having problems in general. For the price, they have a good amount of features, very reliable (my old JVC lasted well into 3 years before being stolen). I actually have seen them come back less, with problems, than Pioneer's and Kenwood's combined.

I like Pioneers look/functions the best, with JVC second and kenwood third (which coincides with my experience with them), but the JVCs I've experienced seem to be extremely durable. Panasonic used to be decent IIRC, but I don't really have much experience there.

You're going to be very low on HU's with nice displays that don't tilt or flip down. Why is this a big problem?

I'd universally recommend Pioneer. They're the least cluttered, simplest HU's in both aesthetic and setup aspects. The 3800MP I believe has a slot for the CD through the faceplate.

Panasonics are terrible, and so are Dual and Insignia and Jensen. Stay away from those.

You're going to be very low on HU's with nice displays that don't tilt or flip down. Why is this a big problem?

I'd universally recommend Pioneer. They're the least cluttered, simplest HU's in both aesthetic and setup aspects. The 3800MP I believe has a slot for the CD through the faceplate.

Panasonics are terrible, and so are Dual and Insignia and Jensen. Stay away from those.

Ease of use, #1. I wouldn't mind a faceplate that tilts for a CD, if it's motorized, OR has a separate tilt function. I came this close to picking up (on clearance) the Kenwood KDC-MP635 with an organic display w/ screensavers, but it has some half-ass tilt OR detach deal. Like if you want to insert a CD, you hit the detach button, and the face flips down and comes out halfway in your hand. So you'd have to do that every time you want to mess with a CD. It was $179 even with the Clearance price, but noone local had a new one anyway. Thought it was a ripoff considering that price is mostly because of that display.

kdcmp635.jpg

On that note, I picked up this bad boy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8226476&type=product&id=1166840602373

8226476_sa.jpg

As you can see, there's a CD slot in the face, an AUX jack in the front, plays MP3's, has a dot matrix display, comes w/ a big beefy remote (like above), and the layout is simple.

It was a close call between this, and a Pioneer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8207932&type=product&id=1166840026727

8207932_sa.jpg

I found the Pioneer's buttons a bit hard to see (like the 4 buttons surrounding the knob, WTF is that?!), and I never liked its remote, also the method of tuning channels is a pain in the ass (Always has been with Pioneer).

Any higher end Kenwood is definately not going to be simple to use. They are VERY menu based, and at times, you would have to go through 2-3 submenu's just to get to the function that you need to alter.

Now, the one you picked up, on the other hand, should be problem free. Just recently I had a guy come back into my install bay with an older model (the one you bought being the newer version). His car was totally beat, the interior nasty as hell, basically he took care of nothing. One of this speakers ended up blowing, causing some issues, but the deck, even in it's dirty form, was still playing well.

I say good buy, and good choice.

Cool. I know what you mean by higher Kenwoods and their menus. I have the 'KDC-MP628' 2006 model (Bought it in late '05) there are so many sub menus, I'm STILL discovering them!

This thing:

2964_1.JPG

Mine has the motorized flip face to insert the CD, but the face is a BITCH to re-install after removing it. You have to be spot on, and quick about it.

I would just highly recommend anything Pioneer, it's all I'll use.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8567_Pioneer+Premier+DEH-P590iB.html#

Built in iPod, plays MP3 cd's, satellite radio, and it does meet your budget. Maybe a little more with shipping but I would recommend this one.

That's nice! If they come out with a built in HD tuner soon, I'll take that for the Olds.

Check out the Kenwood KDC-MP635. Got it in the cutty it is a bit complicated but has alot of nice features.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17734

The faceplate doesn't fall out it swings down and one side comes out more than the other making it easy to remove. You just push that one side and it clicks back up. Not difficult at all. The grey color of the surrounding plastic matches perfectly with the cutlass cluster bezel too. :high5:

Check out the Kenwood KDC-MP635. Got it in the cutty it is a bit complicated but has alot of nice features.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17734

The faceplate doesn't fall out it swings down and one side comes out more than the other making it easy to remove. You just push that one side and it clicks back up. Not difficult at all. The grey color of the surrounding plastic matches perfectly with the cutlass cluster bezel too. :high5:

I mentioned that earlier too. I wanted it, and for myself it would have been fine. I just found the method of tilting the plate down for the CD and having it come out a bit odd. It is also a little odd getting the plate off and on. For me it's no problem, but for her it would be.

Also, the Kenwood I have right now in the Olds is the predecessor to the KDC-MP635 (I have the 2005 model KDC-MP628 that's nearly identical) so it's not worth the upgrade. In fact, my 628 has the motorized plate which the 635 lacks.

Putting the faceplate on my Kenwood is sort of a bitch to do but I figured it out to a "T" now lol. Sort of run the faceplate along the front of the deck towards the left until I hear it snap, then immediately hook the right side in and push the left side in. It never used to be like that but something happened to it and now I have to "snap/click" something on the left side before it'll receive the faceplate lo..

Pioneer DEH-P6900UB for about $170 shipped (or less) brand new from eBay would be my pick. I have last year's DEH-P6800MP which is similar, but lacks USB functionality.

There is one caveat, it's not going to be as simple as a factory radio. The controls are real simple, just a few buttons and one big knob, but the knob doubles as a 4-way controller and everything is menu-based. There are also no preset buttons, you use the 4-way controller functionality of the knob to go up/down through presets. However, does she have SWCs? I have my Pioneer interfaced through the SWCs and my wife finds it very easy to use. She rarely ever needs to use the front panel of the deck.

Further evidence it's not that simple - my wife never figured out how to change the time on the clock. Of course, I figured it out right away, but I'm a guy. :lol:

Oh yeah, she also didn't know how to turn it off since she's so used to only using the SWCs.