Back In The W-Body Market - What To Look For?

KJS

I've been over here in India for 5 months on long term business (sadly, no W-Bodies on the subcontinent), but am returning to the States in under two weeks - so I need to look at cars soon. I've been doing my research and am looking to score another W-Body - I drove a 1994 Buick Regal Limited from junior year in HS and all throughout college.

Basically, I want a W-Body model/model year(s) (my US salary doesn't kick in for a little bit) that's reliable for daily driving (as W-Bodies go - I drove one for 6 years, so I know some of the quirks!) and isn't a complete money pit. I have a bit of an affinity towards Buicks, but I'm open to other GM models as well. This isn't going to be the car I own for the rest of my natural life - just a few years so I can stash away some money.

Thanks in advance!

I'll be flying back to my folks' place in Metro Detroit, then moving to the Chicago 'burbs a week or two after. I'll probably pick up a car in the Detroit area, as used W-Bodies grow on trees there.

Yeah, you should have absolutely no problem finding any W of any sort in that area.

Whats the budget your looking to stay within?

There's a lot of us in and around the Detroit area, so we can keep an eye out.

Yeah, that's what I've been seeing! I figure I can get a lot more bang for my buck by going used at this point of time. Now I just have to ignore my mom ranting about how I'm going to end up with a Katrina flood car (even when running a Carfax/etc.) no matter what I do.

I haven't dealt with a ton of "high-mileage" W-bodies, like 85K+ (my 1994 Buick Regal was purchased with 35K on the clock from my grandmother - she drove it to church and the grocery store - literally!) What should I be looking out for in terms of platform-specific issues?

Thanks! I'll have to do some more research on what those are going for. I miss my Regal quite dearly.

As sad as it sounds, I miss slushboxes (automatic) transmissions. Manuals are fun on fast cars, but when the driver has to shift every 3 seconds in the middle of rush hour in Bangalore (absolutely awful), it gets a bit old for the passengers (me).

With the L36(non supercharged), you will deal with Intake manifold and intake gasket issues. Window regulators, wheel bearings, and other stupid crap.

With the L67, there are problems as well.

As with any engine, nothing is perfect. Fortunately, if you are mechanically apt, then working on these engines are pretty simple.

For $8000, you should be able to land an early 2000 vehicle with decent mileage and minimal flaws.

Yeah, I'm not much of a wrencher, sadly (but I can field-strip a laptop like it's going out of style) - but I do have my cars maintained well. I can tell if someone's trying to screw me, however. I can also do stuff like replace the air filter, oil, etc. Unfortunately, I've never figured out how to do the field-stripping of a CV joint and with my job, probably won't be having the time to do so (consulting = lots of hours).

Are the parts relatively cheap/interchangeable like they are on the older W-Bodies?

Get a nice 97+ Regal GS.

x2 L67 goodness! and a great sleeper!

Agreed! the 3800, whether supercharged or not, is pretty easy to work on too.

welcome to the site, and welcome back to the US!

I'm trying to decide between the Regal, Grand Am/Grand Prix or an Impala (all 99 or newer). Any views on major mechanical/electrical flaws/overall reliability between those models?

As I stated earlier, I'm very good about having my vehicles maintained/doing basic maintenance myself, so I don't plan on thrashing it/not getting routine maintenance done.