Any of you guys have both door handles completely fail?

DEMonte1997

Luckily this is only for the passenger side door. Both the inside and outside door handles stopped working on that door today. Admittantly, I put an aftermarket outside door handle on which worked fine for about a month. I don't think that could have done anything to screw things up though. Or could it have? This car has those cool vertical door handles at the B-pillar. I know they are prone to breaking. The guy who owned the car before me broke it off and just left that whole panel off. He would push the rod in the door down to open the passenger side door. That seemed kind of stupid to me when I could just get a new one off of ebay.

Anyone have tips on getting the door open? One thing I could do is rip the aftermarket handle off the outside and see if it's still attached to the rod inside the door. I'm not sure if that's in my best interest. There really doesn't seem like anything else that I could do though. :sad:

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Happens to me every now and then after i messed with my door handle. Hit you unlock button about 20 to 30 times Believe me. I did not know what I was going to do.Helps to do it from the inside.

just take off the door panel and you can see where the lock is and if the rods need adjustment. Mine was so out you could barely open the door, and my other one snapped last winter. Now I'm not even touching it if it's under 40 out, because those are a PITA.

You need to bend the rods on the inside of the door once you get the panel off. I'm not sure which way does what, but you can adjust them. It should still be attached on the outside, so there should be hope of getting inside of the car from the outside.

But once you get your door panel off, you'll see the rods. I had to adjust mine on my Cutlass and a few times I went the wrong way and scared the hell out of myself, but after a few good bends it opened great.

LOL... I'm not cutting a hole in the door to get it open. :lol: Worse comes to worse, I'll just rip the new door handle off the outside and see if I can manually open the door by pushing on the latching rod mechanism.