Another battery drain question...

Quaraxkad

I'm sure you get these questions all the time, but I'm looking for some slightly more specific information to help me solve my problem.

I have a 1992 Cutlass Supreme coupe with a battery drain. I put a multimeter on the battery and pulled the fuses one-by-one. With the CTSY and ELEC fuses removed it measures 0.022A. With either of those fuses in, it raises to about 2.0, and 3.0 with both in (I don't remember the exact amperage). I have the service manual with wiring diagrams for these two fuses, the CTSY fuse has a LOT of lights on it. Do I just unplug each bulb one at a time and measure like I did with the fuses? How do I check the devices on the ELEC fuse?

How soon does it drain? I'd leave the ELEC fuse out and see what happens. I doubt you have a light staying on that will drain the battery within 3 days.

The last time I fully recharged the battery, it died in probably 4-5 days of not being driven. I have both fuses pulled right now and the battery is charged and connected, I normally had left it unplugged so it doesn't drain. Tomorow I can check the voltage and hopefully it'll still have the same charge.

I just checked the current draw on the ELEC and CTSY fuses (why didn't I think of that to begin with?). With the car off and all doors closed, the CTSY was 0.000A, so I guess I may have had a light on somewhere when I was testing earlier. The ELEC was between 1.7A and 1.8A. What's the next step?

The ELEC fuse goes to:

the radio (do you have an aftermarket radio that might be causing the drain?)

Door latch switches (not really prone to going bad)

Instrument cluster (not prone to going bad in this manner)

Heater control (not prone to going bad in this manner)

Passive restraint control module (can go bad, did in my 1992 and drained the battery in a matter of hours)

This car does have wiring for a sub (which I unplugged). It has the stock radio and a Pioneer CD changer in the trunk.

All of the gear selector bulbs in the gauge cluster are out. I'm not sure if the bulbs are blown, or maybe something is grounded out?

I have confirmed that the drain is something on the ELEC fuse. Two days without that fuse and the battery still has full charge, it would have been down to about 50% by now. I unplugged the CD changer in the trunk and it's still drawing 1.5A through that fuse. What should I check next?

Take out the glove box and look for a 3" long black relay, if it's not there, take the bottom cover out of the pass. side dash and see if it's there. Unplug it and see what happens.

Take out the glove box and look for a 3" long black relay, if it's not there, take the bottom cover out of the pass. side dash and see if it's there. Unplug it and see what happens.

I don't remember any relays that weren't small-ish squares. What's that one for, I'll look it up in my service manual?

I can't find the relay you're talking about. I'm looking at that page in the manual, and the diagram makes it look like it's on the drivers side. I tried to take a picture of the connectors under the glove box so you could point it out for me, but my camera is having one its "I dont want to turn on" days...