misc hood scoops/louvers

phantomFE3

im about to get my hood painted next week and i want something to make it look cooler, im thinking louvers, hood scoops are too flashy, so im wondering if anyone has a set of tgp louvers or z34 louvers? and wher ei can get them, and if they are easy to take off a hood like lets say at a junkyard and how expensive they would be?

im about to get my hood painted next week and i want something to make it look cooler, im thinking louvers, hood scoops are too flashy, so im wondering if anyone has a set of tgp louvers or z34 louvers? and wher ei can get them, and if they are easy to take off a hood like lets say at a junkyard and how expensive they would be?

I was thinking about doing this myself. I ask RedTurbo90 about the specs and if you go with the TGP louvers, they'll bolt on (after cutting out the hole if desired). However the Z34 louvers WILL NOT work on a Cutlass hood since the Z34 hoods are specifically stamped (from the factory) to have the louvers sit flush with the body line. If you notice on the Grand Prix's, model year hoods were the same and the TGP louvers are simply measured and bolted on.

Something to consider before installing: look at the structure of your hood.

You want to avoid cutting through any major support beams.

- Erik

there is a newer grand prix at the junkyard with the hood scoops like this

http://www.yanktanks.co.uk/pcfiles/images5/2001pontiacgrand.jpg

and its red, im guess they might want to charge me alot for them because it would be ruining the hood, but then aghain the hood is trashed because it was in a huge accident and its totalled, hopefully the louvers are still in tact, i would put them on before i get it painted in a couple weeks

If the hood is crumpled... they won't get squat for it.

Head on over and snag those suckers then. Cheap! Under $30 with all hardware.

Is it a You-Pull-It place? If so, you'll have a better look on installation and fitting.

- Erik

well its not really a u-pull it, its kinda like if there is a guy there to help you he'll go out there with you and take it off for you while you watch, and im guessen they just got it because its out in front and they havent tagged it yet or anything

there is a newer grand prix at the junkyard with the hood scoops like this

http://www.yanktanks.co.uk/pcfiles/images5/2001pontiacgrand.jpg

and its red, im guess they might want to charge me alot for them because it would be ruining the hood, but then aghain the hood is trashed because it was in a huge accident and its totalled, hopefully the louvers are still in tact, i would put them on before i get it painted in a couple weeks

Those are heat extractors, not hood scoops. They are on the 40th Anniversary Grand Prixs and the Special Edition, and also I think the Pacecar edition. (You will notice that GP is a special edition because of the 15 spoke wheels) They are not hood scoops, are were never meant to be. If you look at that picture you will see how they are backwards, and I am pretty sure if you turned them around you would have to do some custom work to them to make the air go into them and not over them. I don't know how easy it would be to get them off, you may need the whole hood (which wouldn't work if you don't have a 97-03 GP), but I am not sure. I will go in the garage and check them out and reply back with how they are attached.

You said the one at the junkyard is red. Is that a cherry red or a bright red? If it is a cherry red, then it is mostlikely a 40th Anniversary, and if so, check and see if it still has the floormats in it, and how much they cost if they are in good shape. We want an extra set for ours.

I looked at the scoops, and it looks as though they are held on by 2 nuts on each scoop, but there may be more to it than that. One of the scoops on our 40th Anniversary has both nuts missing off of it because we removed them to make the hood close (because of the intercooler). So I figure, OK, this should come off, wrong. It may come off with a little pushing and trying, but I don't need to screw up the paint or dent the hood or anything so I didn't push very hard at all. I'm sure you could probably get them off if you want them bad enough. I don't know if maybe the part that bolts in is just the screen part (inside the holes on each scoop there is a black honeycomb screen), and it comes off, or if it is the whole thing. The scoops may be part of the hood. I truely don't know, and can't tell at all by looking at the hood, so I can't help you much about how to remove them.

Those are heat extractors, not hood scoops.

god damn man, i was using hood scoop as a general term! i know they are not hood scoops and i know what they are! and im goin there again tomorrow so ill check and see if its a 40th anniversary, but hey, even if it is, how do you expect to get them? i mean, they are here, you are where u are at, were you thinkin that i might be able to get them for you? sure! just ask me and ill work somethin out, if its a 40th..

god damn man, i was using hood scoop as a general term!

Well, I didn't know for sure, and I didn't want you to be pissed if you bought them and figured out they wouldn't work, just trying to help you out.

and im goin there again tomorrow so ill check and see if its a 40th anniversary, but hey, even if it is, how do you expect to get them? i mean, they are here, you are where u are at, were you thinkin that i might be able to get them for you? sure! just ask me and ill work somethin out, if its a 40th..

I figured if it was a 40th Anniversary, and the mats are in good condition, we could probably work something out, me and you, our the junkyard and me if you maybe gave me the name. That is basically the last thing I am worried about, I just want to find some nice floormats.

do you have a paypal account? that would be the easiest way to go, it looks new but its all smashed up on the 1 side(passenger i think)

Not me, but my parents both do and my sister does. I don't want you to buy the floormats or anything, just take a look at them, and if they are in good shape, with no stains, or can be cleaned up easily to have no stains, and they are a good price, then we will work something out. But if we decide we want the mats, Paypal should work good.

any of you guys bidding on these yet? 8) , I don't wanna "step on toes" so to speak and piss any of you off, but those are at a pretty good price considering what GM wants for them :wink: (even gmpartsdirect..lol)....I've got a set already(not for sale!) but for that price, I wouldn't mind picking those up too so let me know if you're bidding and I won't bid. :D

my friend put on a heat extractor like that on his Supra Turbo. Its a carbon fiber one, that sits almost in the center front of the hood. He said it actually helps quite a lot

jon

im getting a set from a GTP that are exactly like the ones in that auction, im getting them from the junkyard, i went to one i have never been to before and they have ALOT of w-bodies!!! so if anyone needs anything just ask me and they have really good prices on shit too

any of you guys bidding on these yet? , I don't wanna "step on toes" so to speak and piss any of you off, but those are at a pretty good price considering what GM wants for them (even gmpartsdirect..lol)....I've got a set already(not for sale!) but for that price, I wouldn't mind picking those up too so let me know if you're bidding and I won't bid.

I plan on bidding on them at the end if the price stays fairly low. Bidding early only makes the price go higher. I always bid last minute.