AstroStart issues

supreme_style21

I have an AstroStart 4204A ( I believe ) in my car. I have 2 issues with it.

One, WHEN it starts via remote, it starts fine, but the idle bobs 100 RPM.. it usually hovers around 1k and it just bobs up and down between 1k & 1,100. Not a real big problem, but it just sounds stupid sitting in my driveway idling. I'm sure the neighbors are proud of the piece of crap I bring home every day.

The other issue is actually starting. 75% of the time, it won't start via remote. It'll accept the command, make a CLICK with the starter, and just fail to start. If I cancel the 'start' command with the remote a few times, the car will then start just fine. I have a feeling this is something to do with the passkey. When I'm driving the car, the 'security' light pops on and off occassionaly. The first guy I had install the starter did a poor job of bypassing the Passkey. So I paid another shop to re-do it and it has worked fine since. Then I hit a deer and the car sat in a shed for a year, started and ran occassionally, and the remote start hasn't worked right since.

Does anyone familiar with this system have any ideas? I think if I 're-learn' the idle on the remote-start brain it'll fix the idle problem. What about the failure-to-always-start problem?

I assume your remote starting bc its cold? I can't really get my car to idle below 1k rpm in the cold weather unless it is in gear. Idk anything about remote starts though

Yea, remote start because of the cold.

I should clarify on the idle issue.... once I turn the key and the 'car' takes over, the idle issue is perfectly normal.. turn the key back off and let the 'remote start brain' take over and the idle starts bobbing around again.

Sounds like the tach signal needs to be reset. If you still have your paperwork, the shop should fix it for you no problem.

That's what I was thinking. A co-worker put it in for me a few years ago. I've got the installation book and whatnot, so I'll try it myself.