How to add DRL/autolight system?

88red4cyl

i am surprised no one has called this "autolight" system by its real name: Twilight Sentinel. A lot of oldsmobiles had this. it does two things: a sensor on the dash turns on your lights when it is dark out and a switch on the dash delays the turning off of your headlights so you can see when you leave your car when it is dark out. just find a wiring diagram for a car that has twilight sentinel and wire it up. i'm pretty sure no w's ever got this. it was used in the luxury cars: 98, 88, toronado.

That is a much fancier version of what I want. The w bodies just got the first part of the Twilight Sentinel, the sensor that turns on the lights when it is dark. IIRC, all 96+ got the drl/autolight combo, and all 95+ Canadian W's got the combo as well...

When I started driving at 15, my mom taught me to turn my headlights on (she's a school bus driver). It's become a habit every time I drive. I think my car looks better with them on.

Speaking of busses, did you know that many years ago, Greyhound used to make the drivers turn the lights on in the daytime as a "safety feature", but after years of doing that, they QUIT BECAUSE THEY FIGURED OUT IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

Yah, I know whatchu mean man. A lot of people disable the DRL's on the '97-'03 GP's- but do it by pulling the fuse. When you do that- it ALSO disable the feature that you (and me too!) like... [which is 'AUTOMATIC' headlights at night]

So I disconnected that 'diode' or whatever- to ensure that ONLY my DRL's would be disconnected, you know? No DRL's- but when I take the e-brake off, and it's NIGHT time- the headlights turn on automatically.. (only BAD thing about that is...SOMETIMES at night, you DON'T want to have the headlights on...and they're always on. But those moments are rare so F it.

As far as GETTING the AUTO headlights feature (and probably DRL's with that) on your Lumina- I don't know man. I'd say, probably gonna have to use your switch bro.

(they're no SENSOR for the car to know if it's light or dark out.... I don't 'think'??)

That's nice. I don't really give a flying fuck about the DRL's.. I just want the autolight system for reasons I stated above.. Yeah, you might think it's stupid, but I want it.