How to add DRL/autolight system?

88red4cyl

I saw the other thread asking how to disable the DRL's, so that got me wondering how I can add them to my 95 Lumi.. The LTZ has them, and I personally love that feature.. I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe owners manual) that the Canadian versions of the 95 Lumina had the DRL system.. What would I need to make it functional on my car, or is it even possible?

Thanks,

Will

I could turn my lights on... The main thing I like is how the lights come on automatically when it gets dark though..A lot of times when it is getting dusk and I can still see, but you are legally supposed to have your lights on, I forget, and I like having it where they just come on.. So the only way to do it is a retrofit kit? I thought maybe I would just need the module or something since the Canadian ones had DRL...

There's a hole there... Never looked to see what's in it though and it's dark now...

Then as i said in my first post you are prob already setup with both drl's and auto lights, however your drl's are going to be your lowbeams, not your highbeams, in my 97 the drl's are the lows and in my 99 the drl's are low powered highs

Don't forget to use your heater when it's hot out. And use your wipers even though the windshield is clear.

Makes as much sense as headlights in broad daylight.

As a truck driver, it is easier to see other vehicles when they have their lights on. Some vehicles blend in with surroundings.

Again we are not talking about DRL's, we are talking about lights automatically turning on when its gets dark out.

There's a hole there... Never looked to see what's in it though and it's dark now...

Then as i said in my first post you are prob already setup with both drl's and auto lights, however your drl's are going to be your lowbeams, not your highbeams, in my 97 the drl's are the lows and in my 99 the drl's are low powered highs

How do I make them work then?

check the fuse, its in the passanger door fuse box, up on the dash, its a 10A fuse, 4 roiws from the top in the 4th spot, its also noted in any manual you would have for this car, but replace that or put one in if its not there, remember these cars use the mini fuses, not the regular ones

Don't forget to use your heater when it's hot out. And use your wipers even though the windshield is clear.

Makes as much sense as headlights in broad daylight.

As a truck driver, it is easier to see other vehicles when they have their lights on. Some vehicles blend in with surroundings.

Again we are not talking about DRL's, we are talking about lights automatically turning on when its gets dark out.

When I started driving at 15, my mom taught me to turn my headlights on (she's a school bus driver). It's become a habit every time I drive. I think my car looks better with them on.

When I started driving at 15, my mom taught me to turn my headlights on (she's a school bus driver). It's become a habit every time I drive. I think my car looks better with them on.

Speaking of busses, did you know that many years ago, Greyhound used to make the drivers turn the lights on in the daytime as a "safety feature", but after years of doing that, they QUIT BECAUSE THEY FIGURED OUT IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

Speaking of busses, did you know that many years ago, Greyhound used to make the drivers turn the lights on in the daytime as a "safety feature", but after years of doing that, they QUIT BECAUSE THEY FIGURED OUT IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

That's nice. I don't really give a flying fuck about the DRL's.. I just want the autolight system for reasons I stated above.. Yeah, you might think it's stupid, but I want it.

88red4cyl

On my 96 Regal fuse #3 is for Daytime Running Lights.

Looks like the best option would be to take the DRL module and wiring off a parts car.

x2 i dont think the auto light feature is attainable without the drl feature on our cars... just hit up the j/y there are plenty, and i mean plenty of gen 1.5's out there lol and any 97 and up will have it

i am surprised no one has called this "autolight" system by its real name: Twilight Sentinel. A lot of oldsmobiles had this. it does two things: a sensor on the dash turns on your lights when it is dark out and a switch on the dash delays the turning off of your headlights so you can see when you leave your car when it is dark out. just find a wiring diagram for a car that has twilight sentinel and wire it up. i'm pretty sure no w's ever got this. it was used in the luxury cars: 98, 88, toronado.