finding the tach wire

GPdriver1986

I'm not sure but I think I found the tach wire, I know its supposed to be white and by the DIS, but I see two white wires. I found the two white wires in the wire loom that run right by the DIS. Does anyone have a picture of the wire? After I find the tach wire where do I have to connect it (on the cluster)?

Well, you are right it is a white wire, but when I hooked mine up, I had to guess at which one was it, and I guess right the first time. Also, the orange wire that comes from the ALDL connector is a tach wire too, if you want to splice into that

Robby

As I'm not real familiar with the GP's, you'll have to excuse me. If you are installing an aftermarket tach, then I'm not real sure where you would tap into. The DIS has two white wires, as you have already found out. On the cars with analog tachs installed, the white wire next to the purple wire is the tach wire. The other white wire is a tach signal for the ECM. Hope this helps determine which white wire you need to splice into.

The orange ALDL wire ONLY supplies a tach signal to digital clusters manufactured by Nippon Denso. I think this is ONLY the Cutlass and Regal digital gauges clusters.

All other clusters need the white tach wire, including Grand Prix half analog/digital clusters because they are made by Delco.

As I'm not real familiar with the GP's, you'll have to excuse me. If you are installing an aftermarket tach, then I'm not real sure where you would tap into. The DIS has two white wires, as you have already found out. On the cars with analog tachs installed, the white wire next to the purple wire is the tach wire. The other white wire is a tach signal for the ECM. Hope this helps determine which white wire you need to splice into.

So which white wire do I tap into?

When I ran mine for my tach, I ran it through the wire loom around to the right of the motor then through the grommet above the steering column. That allowed me to run it up through my dash and into the connector for my tach.