Buying a Torque Wrench...Quick Question

Grand Moff Joseph

the 1/2 prolly has a higher limit, which is good for suspension and lugnuts that require lots of torque. the 3/8 prolly has a lower limit, but prolly has more increments, which is good for precise engine stuff.

the 1/2 prolly has a higher limit, which is good for suspension and lugnuts that require lots of torque. the 3/8 prolly has a lower limit, but prolly has more increments, which is good for precise engine stuff.

agreed, but 100 ft pounds on a lug nut means half my wieght on a 1 foot bar. :twisted: the engine wrench is most important.

i disagree. plenty of engine work you need to do with a 3/8. only thing that I can think of that MUSt be 1/2 inch would be lug nuts.

chasing the Sears torque wrench huh?

Yeah, but I can't afford both of them at the same time! :(

What will you be using it for, Joe?

Probably for tires (lugs), some brake components, and a few "easy" engine items, such as dogbone bolts, etc.

yea, a 1/2 inch will allow you to do any suspension work wheels, tires, axles, and all that good stuff, the only reason you would need a 3/8 in or one that measures in in/lbs would be for engine rebuilding and such

1/2" ...that's what I bought from Sears last winter and it's worked perfect for everything I've used it for. I won't lie though, you use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter quite a bit with small things..still seems to torque everything properly.

i disagree. plenty of engine work you need to do with a 3/8. only thing that I can think of that MUSt be 1/2 inch would be lug nuts.

chasing the Sears torque wrench huh?

Yes, like others I have a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and have used my 1/2" TQ wrench on many engines. 3/8 may be easier to maneuver in some spots, but it does work, and mine drops to 10 lb/ft and a touch below. So as I said, if only one has to be chosen, get the 1/2"

However i have to say i was loking at the new craftsman torque wrenches, and they are Plastic at the head... who the hell concieved the idea that to save money plastic should be utilized on a torque wrench that needs to be percisly calibrated... wow, just my rant for the day

All My Susp components i hand torque. lol always have with no problems ever. i do torque lugs though. who torques dogbones? hand tighten ftw!

Such a manly man...