A/C system

kiwi133

So what do you all think of those little A/C recharge cans? (press them on the low pressure line and it shoots some refrig and oil in)

My a/c works fine, only the compressor is pretty loud, and I'm wondering if it doesn't have enough oil in the system or something? BTW it has been loud for the past two years, since I got the car.

Also how do I know if mine has been converted to the new 123a whatever it is crap? Also wondering how I know how much to put in if I do decide to buy a can.

If there is no sticker in the engine compartment or someware saying it has been converted to R134a then i dont know. if it still works fine and blows out cold air then I wouldnt wory about sometimes they can run loud and still work fine, I know the one in the Calais runs loud when first turn and still blows out cold air. :)

So what do you all think of those little A/C recharge cans? (press them on the low pressure line and it shoots some refrig and oil in)

My a/c works fine, only the compressor is pretty loud, and I'm wondering if it doesn't have enough oil in the system or something? BTW it has been loud for the past two years, since I got the car.

Also how do I know if mine has been converted to the new 123a whatever it is crap? Also wondering how I know how much to put in if I do decide to buy a can.

What year is the car? Mainly (around GM) the turning point for car installed with R134a is 1993 / 1994.

If the compressor is loud, it's not due to "lack of refridgerent oil", just simply the bearings inside.

My dad's 1993 Saturn SL1 has a loud compressor too, but blows colder than the Alantic Tundra.

If it works, let it be; it's worse when you try to dump one of those cans in and the system back-fires on you.

- Erik

Those A/C cans work fine. I have R-12 in my A/C, since my vehicle is '91. It's actually leaking at one of the nipples. I filled it up with two cans of RedTek refrigerant last year. This shit is cold, ice cold. Colder than R-12, R-134a and just about as cold as Satan's touch. All I did was hook up the can to a hose adaptor and hook up the hose adaptor to the low pressure nipple. Then I filled the system up. My compressor runs a little bit louder now, probably because I have to recharge the system again. It's impossible to purchase R-12 here in Canada since it's Freon based and it's been banned. You can find other refrigerants like RedTek or Duracool and so on.

If you vehicle is '96+ it's probably R-134a, and the only way to tell if it's been converted is to bring it to an A/C shop that can determine the type of refrigerant used.

Those A/C cans work fine. I have R-12 in my A/C, since my vehicle is '91. It's actually leaking at one of the nipples. I filled it up with two cans of RedTek refrigerant last year. This shit is cold, ice cold. Colder than R-12, R-134a and just about as cold as Satan's touch. All I did was hook up the can to a hose adaptor and hook up the hose adaptor to the low pressure nipple. Then I filled the system up. My compressor runs a little bit louder now, probably because I have to recharge the system again. It's impossible to purchase R-12 here in Canada since it's Freon based and it's been banned. You can find other refrigerants like RedTek or Duracool and so on.

If you vehicle is '96+ it's probably R-134a, and the only way to tell if it's been converted is to bring it to an A/C shop that can determine the type of refrigerant used.

Then you have a problem with one of your vacuum lines being pinched or blocked off, which results in the airflow shutters not operating properly.

As for your A/C being semi-cold, you should get your system pressure checked for leaks.

my a/c only blows air threw my front defrost vent things n nothin else n that air is only semy cold :roll:

my a/c only blows air threw my front defrost vent things n nothin else n that air is only semy cold :roll:

haz....my heater a/c controls didn't work until I replaced the check valve in the vacuum line down near the cruise control. It had disintegrated..$10 for a new one and the controls now work fine..that could be your problem, or you could have a leaking vacuum line and maybe it's disconnected from the control unit in the dash ?

Hey I live in Ontario and I can't seem to get any refrigerants where did you buy them? The only place I found them was in the states.

haz....my heater a/c controls didn't work until I replaced the check valve in the vacuum line down near the cruise control. It had disintegrated..$10 for a new one and the controls now work fine..that could be your problem, or you could have a leaking vacuum line and maybe it's disconnected from the control unit in the dash ?

my controlls work fine i kno for a fact cuz i have no problems with my heater just my a/c

haz, you cant work on your own ac system, not unless you havea liscence, to fill it and you need to be trained and when hot, you also needa vacuum pump, anda special machine :()

Theres nothing wrong with working on your A/C, the new systems are enviromentally friendly. The next time I go the USA i'll have to pick up a re-fill kit.

Dude, you need an A/C license to order the stuff. RedTek is manufactured from by a company called Wurth's. Have your mechanic order some of this stuff for you. Just let him know it's called RedTek Refrigerant and it's from a company called Wurth's. Wurth's has a whole shitload of automotive stuff so I'm sure he'll be familiar with it. He'll also need a Government of Canada Air Conditioning License to order it. It's colder than R-12, R-134a and other refrigerants. It's propane based so the shit is flammable. It's cold as Satan's touch and it's compatible with both R-12 and R-134a. It's good shit, about $14.00 a can, each can's about 220g or so if I'm not mistaken.

You can also get DuraCool, it's not as cold as RedTek but it's compatible with both R-12 and R-134a. You still need to have an A/C license to order this shit as well. I can't remember who manufactures it. I only have RedTek in my car, not DuraCool. This stuff works just as well as R-134a. I think it's less expensive than RedTek and it isn't propane based. It's completely safe for the environment, but since it's considered a refrigerant you still need an A/C license to get it.

Both RedTek and DuraCool have compressor oil built into the refrigerant.

Hey I live in Ontario and I can't seem to get any refrigerants where did you buy them? The only place I found them was in the states.

To purge and refill your A/C you need a special machine, but if you simply want to "top it up" you can use a simple hose adapter and plug it in.

haz, you cant work on your own ac system, not unless you havea liscence, to fill it and you need to be trained and when hot, you also needa vacuum pump, anda special machine :()

Ok next question, how can I pressure check my own system?

I assume this involves screwing a gauge of some kind onto the high pressure line.

No, and that term "Pressure Checking" is incorrect in A/C systems.

Topping off a system doesn't work when you're several ounces / pounds low of refridgerent.

To recharge an Air Conditioning system there's several (if not more) taken:

1.) Test current system, use thermometer to check temp of A/C air flowing into cabin.

2.) Double check the compressor "kicks" on / off by jumping system

3.) Connect A/C recharge machine and totally evacuate the system (remove air, oil, refridgerent)

4.) Conduct vacuum test, making sure there are no leaks

5.) Recharge A/C by refilling system to manufactors specifications

6.) Once charged, start car and test A/C

That's what done at work here; both R12 & R134a.

And like others have said, you need to be certified to order, operate and handle refridgerent.

Theres nothing wrong with working on your A/C, the new systems are enviromentally friendly. The next time I go the USA i'll have to pick up a re-fill kit.

Incorrect: http://www.suva.faithweb.com/

R12 is not-produced anymore due to it's O-Zone depleting properties.

Yet, still, R134a should be not let out freely to the environment.

Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's) are one of the most harmful things in the O-Zone today, due to A/C and old aerosal cans.

- Erik