Thinking of doing first mod

GPdriver1986

I want to gut the air box on my 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix. I was thinking of taking that end piece off the stock air box and replacing it with a PCV pipe. Would this have an effect or would I still have to drill holes ? Will this make my engine louder when I give it gas?

Chop off the front corner of the box. Just the lower half, from the bolt mounts forward. That is the best way to go about it as it will still get cooler air and block the exhaust manifold's radiating heat.

If you can manage to just remove the snorkle part and add PVC pipe to route to a cool air location, that works too. Its aleady a decently cool air location stock.

If you click on my WWW tab, you can see my crappy website, but it has some pics of how I cut out my airbox. And, yes, if you cut out a lot, the motor is really loud and deep after 3K

Robby

Hey robby where is the pic on your site I can't seem to find it anywhere?

Im not robby, but there is a link to the pics and what he wrote about it!

7) Air box Mod I cut large holes in my air box, which is VERY restrictive, in an effort to allow more air into the motor, therefore making more power. Now, this mod made the motor VERY loud and mean sounding after 3000 rpms. As far as more power, I dont think much was gained, but my power band was shifted up a little. Though I can feel more power around 3000 rpms. FREE

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~whitesrm/airboxpics.html

Taken from Robby's site!!!

7) Air box Mod I cut large holes in my air box, which is VERY restrictive, in an effort to allow more air into the motor, therefore making more power. Now, this mod made the motor VERY loud and mean sounding after 3000 rpms. As far as more power, I dont think much was gained, but my power band was shifted up a little. Though I can feel more power around 3000 rpms. FREE

Uh, yeah, that would be where it is at. Thanks Bake!!

Robby

Uh, yeah, that would be where it is at. Thanks Bake!!

Robby

no problem, I was bored so I figured I'd help him out instead of making you look for it! lol,

I went to Home Depot today and I picked up an aluminum flexible elbow, I found it in the dryer connection section. I took out my airbox and I took out the snorkle then I put the elbow in and bent it down. I installed everything and started the car, nothing until I reved the engine I heard it sucking air. I think I'll probably buy an airbox and cut it.