Newer Grand Prix rims

GPdriver1986

Won't work PERIOD!!! I bought a set from 99' GP GT they will not clear the front caliper bracket and would need like a 1/2" do do it, trust me I tried. You would need to do serious modifications to get them on.

Won't work PERIOD!!! I bought a set from 99' GP GT they will not clear the front caliper bracket and would need like a 1/2" do do it, trust me I tried. You would need to do serious modifications to get them on.

So you are saying that the offset is wrong, and the wheels just go on too far? If that is the case, you can, although I wouldn't do it, get a spacer made for it, then bolt the wheels right to the spacers.

So you are saying that the offset is wrong, and the wheels just go on too far? If that is the case, you can, although I wouldn't do it, get a spacer made for it, then bolt the wheels right to the spacers.

You would need to install longer studs cause the stock ones won't work, as if spacers by themselves wasn't scary enough. Trust me not worth the effort.

You would need to install longer studs cause the stock ones won't work, as if spacers by themselves wasn't scary enough. Trust me not worth the effort.

No, I am talking about spacers that bolt onto the factory studs, and have their own studs on them, so you use those studs instead. I am not interested in doing it myself, but you are making it sound like it can't be done, when I think if spacing is the problem, that can be fixed easily. It was just a suggestion.

No, I am talking about spacers that bolt onto the factory studs, and have their own studs on them, so you use those studs instead. I am not interested in doing it myself, but you are making it sound like it can't be done, when I think if spacing is the problem, that can be fixed easily. It was just a suggestion.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea but the spacers I've seen are shit and don't work like that. I'm not quite sure how the one's you're talking about would work.

If you bolt it on with your studs and it has it's own does that mean your rims have to be a different bolt pattern?

Just curious how a 1/2" nut and a spacer plate would fit, it'd have to be atleast 3/4" or better.

I wasn't saying it can't be done nor was I trying to start a war, my point was that there is no easy good way to do it and spacers no matter how they work are shit and should not be used on a daily driver. IMHO

he's talking about "wheel adapters" not spacers, but same general idea

So they would change the bolt pattern?

I believe you can have them made to use a different bolt pattern, I would find a company that sells them via a google(or the like) search and email them.

he's talking about "wheel adapters" not spacers, but same general idea

And a very BAD idea ! I may be new here but I'm not new to cars. Wheel spacers/adapters are bad news, ESPECIALLY on the front. I don't care how good they are or how many people you know that run them with out problems, they are an accident looking for a place to happen. A lot of guys used them back in the 70's and they caused all sorts of problems. Tire wear, alignment problems and some just plain broke. Add FWD into the equation and it scares the crap out of me.......... especially thinking that there are people out there on the same road as me with the damn things on their car. They should have been banned 30 years ago. Buy the correct rims for the car.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea but the spacers I've seen are shit and don't work like that. I'm not quite sure how the one's you're talking about would work.

If you bolt it on with your studs and it has it's own does that mean your rims have to be a different bolt pattern?

Just curious how a 1/2" nut and a spacer plate would fit, it'd have to be atleast 3/4" or better.

I wasn't saying it can't be done nor was I trying to start a war, my point was that there is no easy good way to do it and spacers no matter how they work are shit and should not be used on a daily driver. IMHO

OK, I would not use them on my car, as I said in my posts above, but some people have no problem with them and could care less about the things that could happen because of using them. What it is is you bolt on this adapter to the studs, and then use the studs that are on the adaptor to bolt your wheels to. It can have the same bolt pattern or a different bolt pattern it doesn't matter. And yes, I think it has to be something like 1" thick, but it would work.

The best fix for the problem is to buy wheels that fit on the car without any of this crap, but if you really want these wheels on your car, that is what you can do.

back to the original topic, i have the same wheels on my car (the 5-spoke 16") that my dad has on his 1998 Grand Prix GT. Or i thought that i did. Am i mistaken in this or aren't these the same?

back to the original topic, i have the same wheels on my car (the 5-spoke 16") that my dad has on his 1998 Grand Prix GT. Or i thought that i did. Am i mistaken in this or aren't these the same?

possibly the same, most of our wheels will fit onto the 97+ GP's w/ no problems as far as I know...like the crosslace wheels from older GP's that most of the 97+'s use as drag wheels. To tell for sure, jack your fathers car up and get under the car as to look at the inside of the wheel, it will have the offset written on the back/inside of the wheel just as most wheels do.

The '94-'96 16" 5-spokes are definitely different from the '97-up ones. I don't have the offsets, but the earlier ones are 7" wide while the later ones are 6.5" wide. Also, just by looking you can see the the earlier ones say "pontiac" on one of the spokes and the contours are different. Also on the later one, the holes around the lugs look shallower. I have a picture of both styles side by side if anyone wants me to send it to them (sorry - I don't have a website to put the pic on).