Anyone else feel like their car never gets warm inside during the winter?

GutlessSupreme

This is one thing I cannot stand about my Ws. I can have the heat on full blast for 1/2 hour of driving, and if my hands aren't directly in front of the vents, they are cold as shit. my feet almost never get warm. It's not that the engine isn't warming up to temp. the cars just don't hold heat well at all. The blower motors seem pretty weak too. I always have 3 vents pointed exactly where my hands will be, two on different spots on the wheel and one on the shifter. But if I'm outside of their little "zone," forget it. it's freezing.

I don't notice this as much in newer cars, probably because they're just plain insulated better. Has anyone done anything in terms of temperature insulation in their car? I know their isn't much stock insulation to speak of on the floor and doors. I don't remember if anything's behind the headliner.

heater core may be a bit clogged? Thats the only thing that hasn't failed on my car....yet....but my heat is intense!

As is mine...But it was almost 90* today...:lol:

My regal was always Really good. only took a few minutes of driving to get warm, even with the cooling fan running all the time. On my cutlass, i've noticed that if i leave the sunroof cover open, that it just feels cold, but when i close it its fine.

Hadn't thought about the heater core, I should try flushing it. One of the few things I've never touched on these cars :lol:

Maybe I should swap the stat as well, at least for the winter. I'm pretty sure there's a 160* one in there. The temp gauge usually seems in normal range though.

This is one thing I cannot stand about my Ws. I can have the heat on full blast for 1/2 hour of driving, and if my hands aren't directly in front of the vents, they are cold as shit. my feet almost never get warm. It's not that the engine isn't warming up to temp. the cars just don't hold heat well at all. The blower motors seem pretty weak too. I always have 3 vents pointed exactly where my hands will be, two on different spots on the wheel and one on the shifter. But if I'm outside of their little "zone," forget it. it's freezing.

I don't notice this as much in newer cars, probably because they're just plain insulated better. Has anyone done anything in terms of temperature insulation in their car? I know their isn't much stock insulation to speak of on the floor and doors. I don't remember if anything's behind the headliner.

I get this same feeling too with Ws. For instance, my Toyota Pickup, all weatherstripping is shot, windows don't seal properly, yet with the heat on 1/2 speed, it'll get so hot in there. My STE, heat on HIGH, will never, ever get that hot even if I just idled it for like 30min in park. I also agree that the blower motors on these cars do seem really weak compared to other vehicles I've been in.

My Lumina works very, very well since I changed the t-stat from a 180F to a 195F last fall.

I do notice that I have less air moving out of the vents in the "HOT" position then I do with the "COLD" position - you can actually hear the air speed increase dramatically when you switch from COLD to HOT lol..but it gets really warm now. Doesn't defrost worth a shit in the extreme HOT position though since there isn't enough air movement.

I get this same feeling too with Ws. For instance, my Toyota Pickup, all weatherstripping is shot, windows don't seal properly, yet with the heat on 1/2 speed, it'll get so hot in there. My STE, heat on HIGH, will never, ever get that hot even if I just idled it for like 30min in park. I also agree that the blower motors on these cars do seem really weak compared to other vehicles I've been in.

Wouldn't that be partially due to the Toyota having a much smaller passenger cabin than the STE?

The heat rocks in both of my GPs- they will both cook me outta the car it gets so hot in there :willynilly:

I've noticed that the 89 SE defrost works great in the frosty mornings too.

when i got my car the heater was the worst ever, but it was just a bad thermostat, since then i can cook myself to the point of being very uncomfortable now.

The heat rocks in both of my GPs- they will both cook me outta the car it gets so hot in there :willynilly:

I've noticed that the 89 SE defrost works great in the frosty mornings too.

Wouldn't that be partially due to the Toyota having a much smaller passenger cabin than the STE?

Yeah, probably true. I feel like the HVAC system in that truck is overall a lot better than a W though. From my experiences W HVAC systems are sub-par.

From my experiences W HVAC systems are sub-par.

Along with the brake systems, drivetrain, build quality, material quality...Hell, that list could go on for another 20 or 30 fucking minutes...:lol:

Yet, we still love them. Why?

From my experiences W HVAC systems are sub-par.

Along with the brake systems, drivetrain, build quality, material quality...Hell, that list could go on for another 20 or 30 fucking minutes...:lol:

Yet, we still love them. Why?

Because they still fuckin pwn, that's why!!!!

My lumina will cook my ass but the 96 corsica (sweet car got totaled by a drunk driver. :cry:) I had the heat sucked The lumina is electronic panel the corsica was manual.

I loved my Tempest (only 1992 Pontiac Tempest in Texas, though it started out as a Corsica)...It's heat was pretty good, but not great.