Moding a Granny Car 98 Lumina

creepyrob

First off, Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but take full advantage of the Search function above.

Ok, there is a transmission swap you can do, but it takes a good deal of part hunting and custom modifications to install. As for an actuall part number / name: look for a Getrag 282, found mainly in the early W-Bodies, along with early J-Bodies (Cavalier, Sunbird) and N-Bodies (Beretta, Corsica). Without the hassle of all that, and if you're looking for a standard (manual) tranny, I'd locate an early 90's W-Body or switch car models (but not recommended :wink: )

As for the boosting question:

a.) Many people hear are wanting the 3.1L MPFI Turbocharged Grand Prix motor found in 1989 and 1990. However, many others as well, have swaped over parts to make there coupe / sedan turbocharged as well.

Again, that takes time, knowledge and some help on the forums to get yourself running right.

b.) As for the supercharger, RSM Racing makes one for the 2.8L / 3.1L / 3100 / 3400 motors... but BEWARE: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION has been very low in our standards and other sites / owner. You can chance it, but ask around first. We may be able to get you started on something.

Again, glad you joined.

Hope you find the information here you're looking for. Best of luck!

- Erik

Welcome to the board!!!! What Erik said is all true and about all the basic info for the stuff you mentioned. Do some basic stuff, like intake, exhaust and see how you like that

Robby

Also, I found out that the 5sp from a 4cyl cavalier won't work. It is not a getrag it's something else that I can't remember right now. Welcome to the board. I am building a 3800 Series 2 Turbo right now. Good luck w/ whatever you choose.

yeah i have already neem looking at the intake exaust andchip Fast Chip said they cando it for threehundred and add a little hsp and a decent abount of tork still pondering the trbo queton some fallas in he fourms chathelped me out a great deal i am thinking if i can fnd a good condition grand national doing a swap lotas of work but i have a bud that wil help

you guys are so much more help then some bords like our local ones they think i am wastig my time but this is something i ant and not to mention with all the he said she said drama on our local board no one has time to help lol

thanks again guys :D

yeah i have already neem looking at the intake exaust andchip Fast Chip said they cando it for threehundred and add a little hsp and a decent abount of tork still pondering the trbo queton some fallas in he fourms chathelped me out a great deal i am thinking if i can fnd a good condition grand national doing a swap lotas of work but i have a bud that wil help.

Whoa! Don't need to go to Fast Chip for claims on horsepower.

Cut the corporate crap, they out to steal cash on poor mis-understanding kiddies with modded rides.

Fast Foward Performance makes MEMCALs (chips) for only $119 and many here have them and LOVE them!

Don't believe me, post another thread and ask about it.

- Erik

ITS makes a turbo kit for 3100's now...listed for "luminas" and grand ams IIRC, that one guy on the gmforums has the kit and it doesn't even include any computer modifications IIRC and it's hella expensive. Like I told ya in the chatroom, possibly go out and by a turbo/supercharger information book, research a few turbocharged cars or make a mental note of what cars have what turbo and do some junkyard hunting, it will help you gain mechanical experience via hands on learning = pulling the parts yourself. Too bad hardly anyone I know close by does any car modding..I'm always willing to help, would be cool to help on a custom turbo project of sorts. 8)

Edited: due to grammatical errors that stuck out like a sore thumb, if there are any more, feel free to not point them out :lol:

welcome to the board, I am new here also. I also trying to modify a lumina, mine is a little older than yours, but I recommend a engine & tranny swap. '97-02 GTP swap out into your lumina. I've seen this swap done countless times to luminas. I will also go for this swap next. You'll be fast, and still have an automatic or manual depends on the tranny you swap in. But if you seek power in your car the 3800 Series II Supercharged is my recommendation to you.