How to store a car with out garage?

Q-Ball

Well, I've got no garage and wondering how I can store my 92 GP 5 speed 3.4. I was thinking about getting one of those car covers. Anyways, what do I also need to do? I've never stored a car before.

Well since it's outside, will it be on solid ground, or grass? I'd wax it then put a car cover over it. Disconnect the battery, and maybe put some moth balls inside just in case so you don't get any visitors?

My driveways is graval. Battery is already dead. Tried boosted it last week, but my side post bolts are toast. I put a cover on my other grand prix cause I had it painted and it was stored under a carport with only 2 sides open and the cover put small scratches all over the car. Does anyone know how those tents work?

I would put a tarp on the ground, drive over it, park it. pull battery, put fuel stabalizer in the tank, fill it up with gas,

roll up windows, lock doors...this is what I did with the TGP last winter. It started right up, and the paint was NOT hurt. I would suggest not scrapping any of the snow off, let it build up, it's not going to hurt it.

I would suggest not scrapping any of the snow off, let it build up, it's not going to hurt it.

I'll second that. Last semester at school it snowed all the time here. I kept scraping the snow/ice off the car, and come spring time I found nice little scratches from where I did that. :bash:

i just removed battery and placed it on a wooden shelf in my room so it stays out of the cold garage. sta-bil and car cover. now i need to figure out a way to keep car cover ON the car! damn wind

I'd try to drive it around the block a few times during the winter, otherwise your brakes will rust and potentially freeze the wheels in place.

The only problem is I dont have plates for it. And the damn salt will be flying since I'm on a bus route. Atleast my street will be plowed :lol:

just make an igloo for it. it's cold enough there year round' date=' right? :razz:

[/quote']

Thank god its not.

you could get a car canopy if it's allowed. At least it would prevent ALL the winter elements hitting it.

Thats what I was thinking. I heard there were regulations, but would anyone notice? How do I find out if I can have one or not?

I would put a tarp on the ground, drive over it, park it. pull battery, put fuel stabalizer in the tank, fill it up with gas,

roll up windows, lock doors...this is what I did with the TGP last winter. It started right up, and the paint was NOT hurt. I would suggest not scrapping any of the snow off, let it build up, it's not going to hurt it.

That sounds like the cheapest way to do it. Should I be worried about flat spots on the tires?

I would suggest not scrapping any of the snow off, let it build up, it's not going to hurt it.

I'll second that. Last semester at school it snowed all the time here. I kept scraping the snow/ice off the car, and come spring time I found nice little scratches from where I did that. :bash:

I still need to buy a scraper. :willynilly: We've had frost a few times in the morning. I should start using my auto starter, but first I need to install the new starter...

i just removed battery and placed it on a wooden shelf in my room so it stays out of the cold garage. sta-bil and car cover. now i need to figure out a way to keep car cover ON the car! damn wind

Yeah, I'll do that and keep it inside. Maybe my dogs will lick it. ZAP! :lol:

my friends dad stores his 68 firebird in one of those enclosed canopies. the only thing that gets to the car in the cold, blustery winters here, is just the temps. and he only paid like 200 for it.

my friends dad stores his 68 firebird in one of those enclosed canopies. the only thing that gets to the car in the cold, blustery winters here, is just the temps. and he only paid like 200 for it.

That's a good idea. My buddy's step-dad puts his 62 Buick in one of those.

my plan for the TGP here soon is car cover, a few cheap tarps over that, fastened on with some string or whatever, and park each tire on a piece of wood. I'll probably start her up a few times over the winter as well

matt... I can make you "wheel stands"

I parked the 93 vert in a garage in cleveland. I raised the car and stacked cut 2x4 blocks that relieve much of the car weight off the tires. not that it matters, those tire are garbage. it helps prevent wear on the bearings from sitting. the car is on a concrete floor and it was waxed not long before being parked. I did not stick on a car cover, that would grind dust it.

if you are in gravel or dirt, it would be hard to put it on wheel stands, but you could try.

If you get a cover don't cheap out...get one that is breatheable, but also padded, and make sure it fits really really tight so it doesn't move around and you'll be okay.

Don't waste money on month balls - they don't work..my family has a farm and I've tested this theroy many times..mice don't give a shit if there are moth balls or not. Plus you'll stink the car up like crazy.

Otherwise just pump the tires up some, park it, fuel stabilizer and disconnect the battery. That's all I've ever done and never had any issues.

I have heard that dryer sheets work better than moth balls, plus they smell great.

ahh yes! Thank you, I was trying to remember what else people use, but couldn't think of it.

And...honestly I don't see the point of putting wood under the tires. We store our SS in a garage from early November to mid April. We start it at least once a month, and if the weather is acceptable(no salt) we take her for a cruise. And no flat spots? I think flat spots occur if the car sits for a LONG time. And winter storage I don't see that happening?

Yeah I agree with Euro, if your radials are at recommended pressure you should be fine. Bias ply tires will have a flat spot in less than a month.

You should also start it up every 3-4 weeks and let it run for about 15 min.

Top off all fluids, including gasoline-this prevents condensation building up in the top of the tank which over time will create rust.

Your worried about the paint? man, that thing needs paint BAD, it can't get any worse than it is.

Keep in mind your city sucks ass, if your neighbors decide they don't want to look at a car under a cover they can legally complain to the city, and you will get a warning to get rid of it within 48 hours, or make it road worthy. London has a by-law saying this, don't believe me, call city hall. When my car was laid up with the blown gasket I jacked it up for a while to take the weight off the tires, within a week a neighbor complained and the parking commisioner showed up on my door step.

Just do the smart thing, donate the car to the greater cause, Me or Matt, we can give it a good home for the winter. I can even give it a climate controlled home for the winter.

Jamie

Would that not be slightly hard on the suspension? These cars don't exactly have the best suspension as is....

Would that not be slightly hard on the suspension? These cars don't exactly have the best suspension as is....

I think that depends on how much snow falls in a certain time period. Some melts off during the day if it's sunny and over freezing. If snow sat on the car for a while, my guess is that it would equal the weight of 2 people in the car?