How much should I offer him?

Scottster

There is this GP not far from me, roughly 91-93 SE, with a manual trans. I've seen the car drving around town occasionaly, and it sounds pretty bad...what's left of the (dual) exhaust makes the thing sound like a raspy old bomb. Not to mention the rusted out quarter panels.

The car is generaly clean though, and an everyday car for this dude. The point is I want to offer him some cash for the thing, just to get my hands on the powertrain...and maybe next summer bolt up the 282 into mine.

KBB.com says about $400 for a 93 SE, but I was thinking of lowballing him at 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

What do you guys think?

Rusted out quarters???? It's worth by the book about $100-$200.. However millions of people firmly believe any good running car is worth $500... I believe that as well..

Offer him $300 and go from there. Or better, ask him if he is willing to sell it and how much.

Fat chance. Doesn't sound like the dude is rolling in enough money to upgrade. Hell, even the crappiest stealership would give him a couple hundred if he was in the financial condition to buy a new car. I know that I would never get rid of a running daily driver, regardless of condition for a couple hundred. What would he be able to do with a couple hundred? Hell, any car that costs as little as 1000 is likely to have a large number of problems and unreliabilities.

Fat chance. Doesn't sound like the dude is rolling in enough money to upgrade. Hell, even the crappiest stealership would give him a couple hundred if he was in the financial condition to buy a new car. I know that I would never get rid of a running daily driver, regardless of condition for a couple hundred. What would he be able to do with a couple hundred? Hell, any car that costs as little as 1000 is likely to have a large number of problems and unreliabilities.

That's a good point.

As for the powertrain, it must be a 3.4 motor then? I thought you could get the 282 up until 1993 with a 3.1, no?

Well in a way my comment still applies.

:lol: no it's fine, I just didn't want everyone to start telling him things based on that picture, since it's not the same. It might be just as bad or worse, but still :biggrin:

Scott,

Like mentioned above....if the guy is driving it daily, I'm sure he'd rather have the car than a couple hundred bucks...but if he's looking to get rid of it, I mean 2-500 sounds reasonable....but I wouldn't be surprised if he says no

agreed, if i had to drive a shitty looking car around every day and some neighborhood bum kept asking me to buy my car sooner or later id snap and just run the sob over, thats just me hey what do i know tho

agreed, if i had to drive a shitty looking car around every day and some neighborhood bum kept asking me to buy my car sooner or later id snap and just run the sob over, thats just me hey what do i know tho

fo sho...

I think that he might not have enough money to buy another/better car in the first place, if you offer him 500 for his daily driver he would laugh !!

Point taken! lol

I'm really not ready to do the work in the first place...maybe in the spring when school is done, I guess I'll go from there.