GI: First Gen Front STB and Rear STB

gpchris

I'm thinking about making an STB. A good one. The cutty doesnt seem all that effective and the GMPP bends your stock strut cover. I'll be making it similar to this one below:

6gxmqu8.jpg

The weld point will not bend the strut cover, it will be stronger than the any other stbs for our cars. I'm going to start with the front stb if it sells and theres enough interest then I will work on a similar rstb. These will also clear the DOHC. They will be powdercoated to any color. Price for the front stb will be over $100. I havent figured an exact price yet but the more people in on this the cheaper it will be.

Let me know if anyones interested.

I NEED a longer bar like yours. Mines too short and hits the alt... not good I know. I had to shave down the alt so it would fit. if your willing to part with a bar itself LMK!

I was just going to offer somthing thats better though more expensive. I mean adams is great, I have one but say he took a metal spacer(about the size of the bolt head) and welded it inside the metal bar so that the bolt would go through the bar and spacer allowing you to tighen it up more without bending the bar. It would take like 5 minutes and 50 cents more but it would be much tighter.

I’m not knocking his. I mean for a w-body it doesn’t really need to be any tighter especially in the rear. That’s why I said I may not be making the rstbs.

I NEED a longer bar like yours. Mines too short and hits the alt... not good I know. I had to shave down the alt so it would fit. if your willing to part with a bar itself LMK!

Umm.. This is a thread for if you want a bar that will clear the dohc and alt on 3.1s. If you do please let me know and I will ad you to the list. You might want to reread the main post..

IMO $100+ per front STB is REALLY pushing it, when Aweb can make a damn good and rock solid RSTB for $50 ($45 on a group buy).

Unless you're looking for a pretty show car, I don't think $100+ is worth a custom made strut tower bar. Bring it down to $60 and you might have yourself a bargain.

IMG_3233-1.jpg?t=1194059592

That cost me $21 in materials, for all 3. Granted, 1" round steel tube isn't as stiff as I'd like it to be (which is why I'm making a new one and using stock GM w-body ones for the sides (mine didn't come with those stock)). But with $40 just for the front, I'm sure I could make a pretty darn good bar.

I guess the bottom line is, $100 is really pushing it for a front strut tower bar, especially considering how many of them are available in junkyards. Not everyone around here is trying to create a show car.

Umm.. This is a thread for if you want a bar that will clear the dohc and alt on 3.1s. If you do please let me know and I will ad you to the list. You might want to reread the main post..

All I need is the polished bar that is in your picture

His bar looks quality. The ends are fully adjustable, new strut plates, etc...

I bet materials for his are near $75-$80 alone.

BTW, whats wrong with competition? Thats how business's survive, and make new and better products.

If You Can Make A Rear Bar For Cheaper Than $50 shipped, them be my guest. i could sell it for less than that, but i'd not be covering any of my time. and if i wanted to actually make money on them, i'd sell them for more. but i keep the price as low as possible because i'm an enthusiast and want to help others be that too.

:biggrin:

That's my engine bay!

RSM bars were like $130 each a long time ago? What is the Quaity and looks of the RSM bar Strut tower bars? Amazing. Don't get me wrong. I hate RSM. Their parts are the absolute worse trash; but their strut bars turned actually very nice. It's almost like they hired another company to make them.

If you want a functional strut bar. Expect to pay around $50. Like adam's bar for instance. I own one. Well I gave it to my brother and I don't know what he did with it. Simplest of designs meant to do 1 job. Reduce flex on the Rear. Making a front strut tower bar is more difficult than making a bar for the rear. It will take more time to make.

If you want a functional bar that looks GOOD expect to pay $100 plus. That is what Chris is aiming for. I want to know what we are talking in materials for a decent Front strut tower bar.

If you make these Gen I front Strut tower bars; they will be the real only bar that will fit our car(aftermarket). The buick bar is a fing joke. I've gone that route. Didn't feel a thing. I put on the RSM bar and I noticed an immediate difference. Bs? Hardly.

If You Can Make A Rear Bar For Cheaper Than $50 shipped, them be my guest. i could sell it for less than that, but i'd not be covering any of my time. and if i wanted to actually make money on them, i'd sell them for more. but i keep the price as low as possible because i'm an enthusiast and want to help others be that too.

That won't happen. Chris is on the same boat as you Adam. I think we all know that you aren't making $$ on those bars. Offering something at a discounted rate is great for our community members.

Chris wants to make a bar that looks as nice as it performs. If Chris makes this new bar then we'll have 2 bars that will meet everyones wants and needs. If you are like me then you will prefer something that is show quality. I take my car to car shows and every little bit helps. Even if it cost double but does the same job.

The RSM bar was $100 when they were still around. I love em.. just about the only product from them that was worth anything...

However they sent me the wrong length front bar... which is why it hits the alternator... which is why I need a newer longer one