Lumina Guage swap

Baddflash

I've been looking around and I haven't found anything specific to Lumina. I know someone told me they've done the swap and you need to rewire everything.

But from what I've read it sounds like all you have to do is swap the temp and pressure switch's for senders and run a line for the tach which can come off the diagnostic connector.

Is this correct or is there more to it than that???

In a nutshell, that is it. The tach wire will have to come from the ICM. You can't use the ALDL wire for the tach signal. Not for the Lumina clusters anyway. As for the connector to the cluster. If you are going from base to gages, only one wire stays in the same place. All the rest get changed. It took me about 2 hours to rewire the connector, run the tach wire and go get temp sender. If you have a first gen Lumina, I can help you with the pinouts.

I guess it was you I talked to before, I couldn't remember who. I would appreciate if you could help me as I really want to swap the cluster out. Don't you need to swap the oil pressure switch for sender too? Would it help to have the connector from donor car? Would the wires still be same colour regardless of cluster?

Thanks for any help.

The wire colors are the same. Only main difference between the Euro/Z34 harness and the base harness is there are 2 power wires for the gages cluster as well as a tach wire. I just ran a jumper wire from one power pin to the other and ran the tach wire to the ICM.

You would only need to change the oil pressure switch out if your cluster has the Oil Pressure gauge. Mine didn't so I didn't have to worry about it.

Once I get home tonight I'll look up the pinouts and email them to you. Not a hard job once you figure out how to get the pins pushed out of the connector. I had to fold up a paperclip and used it to push the pins out.

You could get the connetor from the donor car but don't expect to get the whole harness without taking the whole dash apart and I mean the ENTIRE dash.

Thanks for quick response. I was just thinking if I get the connector from donor car it would show me how the wires need to be changed. Yes the cluster I have has the oil pressure guage so I'll need a sender. Where do you get the tach line from? In car or under hood? I don't have my manual here right now so I can't look at it.

Thanks for help.

P.S. How did you get cluster w/o oil pressure, haven't seen one.

You can get the tach wire from the ICM. It has 2 white wires running from the 5 wire connector. If I recall correctly, the white wire next to the purple is for the tach. The other white wire goes to the ECM. Don't cut into that one or you might mess things up. Once I spliced into the correct white wire I ran my "new" tach wire back under the wire loom, through the firewall and up to the cluster.

I went and got the connector of the donor car. It has 4 more wires than mine does but for the most part appear to follow colours. I am having some trouble decifering the schematics in my manual, it's calling for wires that are not there or of different colour and I really hate to guess. Whiskey can you send me your pinout diagram and any other tips you can offer.

Thanks

Sorry this took so long. My phone line was dead over the weekend. Here goes. If you are looking at the connector, clip at the top. The top row is C, bottom row is D and they go 1-16, left to right.

For the Base Cluster

C3 - Pink/Black - Ignition Power

C4 - Yellow/Black - Low Coolant Light

C5 - Tan/White - Brake Light (parking brake or low brake fluid)

C6 - Brown -Charge Indicator

C7 - Dark Green - Coolant Temp Indicator

C9 - Black - Ground

C10 - Brn/Wht - SES Light

C11 - Tan/Blk - Shift Light

C12 - Lt Grn/Blk - Antilock light (if so equipped)

C13 - PPL - Fuel Level indicator

C16 - Lt Blue - Left Turn signal

D1 - tan - Oil Pressure Indicator

D2 - Yellow - Fasten Seat Belts Indicator

D8 - Gray - Dimmer switch

D12 - Black - Ground

D13 - Dk Grn - Speedometer

D15 - Dk Blue - Right turn signal

D16 - Lt Grn - High Beams

Ok, here is the pinout for the gages cluster.

C2 - Black - Ground

C3 - Gray - Dimmer

C5 - PPL - Fuel Level

C7 - Dk Grn - Coolant Temp

C9 - Lt Blue - Left Turn Signal

C11 - Yellow - Fasten Seat Belts Ind

C13 - Tan - Oil Pressure Indicator

C15 - Brn - Charge Indicator

C16 - Yel/Blk - Low Coolant

D1 - Dk Blue - RH Turn Signal

D2 - Lt Grn - High Beams

D3 - Tan/Blk - Shift Indicator

D4 - Pnk/Blk - Ignition Power

D5 - Dk Grn - Speedometer

D6 - Black - Ground

D9 - White - Tach Wire

D11 - Pink/Blk - Ignition Power

D13 - Tan/Wht - Brake indicator

D15 - Lt Grn/Blk - Antilock indicator

D16 - Brn/Wht - SES Light.

Wow, that was long, ok, for the two power wires, you have to choices, run a new lead from the fuse box to the second power lead, or run a jumper from one to the other. Which is what I did. As for the tach wire, you will need to get under the hood and unplug the left connector on the ICM. There are 5 wires in that connector. They are:

Tan/Blk - Bypass Wire for ECM

White - Tach signal for ECM

White - Tach signal for Instrument Cluster

PPL/Wht - Reference signal for ECM

Black/Rd - Ground from ICM to ECM.

You will need to splice into the white wire that is next to the purple wire. If you tap into the wrong one, it may cause the car to act up as the ECM won't know how fast the engine is running.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Well I got the guages in and everything works but the temp and oil pressure guages cause I haven't swapped the switchs for senders yet. The only problem I had was getting the wire run through the wrapping. :evil: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the help Whiskey!

Oh yeah if you're gonna do this swap make sure you grab either the connector or a few wires from the donor car, they have a special end that I doubt you can buy. I needed two one for the tach and other to split the power.