UGH (Aweb80 RSTB installation...)

xtremerevolution

this is a bitch. I had figured I'd run into this kind of problem.

The trunk hinge for the 1st gen w-body regals is entirely different from that of the grand prix, lumina, or cutlass. It swings MUCH further back, and the trunk won't close because the hinge is hitting the RSTB.

So I NEED that RSTB installed.

I went down to a junkyard and pulled the trunk mounts off a 2nd gen w-body grand prix, which look something like this:

Trunk.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to outfit some kind of trunk latch mechanism for this trunk. The only problem is that between the place where they're mounted and the trunk seal is 2" of space. On the regal, there's only 1" of space, so I'm fairly confident it won't fit inside that hole unless I do some cutting. I might mount them inside the trunk (inside the seal area).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've also considered grabbing the trunk hinge mechanism off a grand prix or cutlass supreme, but it seems that the trunk's dimensions are a bit different and it wouldn't exactly be compatible.

contact aweb. he would probably rectify the problem. the luminas do have the same/similiar problem you describe, but since regals are few are far between, Aweb might not realize the issue with his bar.

Friggen A! your regal is the first one to get my bar. this sucks. i've fixed the lumina problem so the current mounts fit cutty's, gp's, luminas. i've got two mounts left that "might" work. they are of a totally different design. can you take a pic of your hinges open and mostly closed? this will help me determine if the other design i have will work for you.

Friggen A! your regal is the first one to get my bar. this sucks. i've fixed the lumina problem so the current mounts fit cutty's, gp's, luminas. i've got two mounts left that "might" work. they are of a totally different design. can you take a pic of your hinges open and mostly closed? this will help me determine if the other design i have will work for you.

haha. I just called you and left a message. Scratch that while I go take some pictures.

be back in a bit.

P.S. L27 FTMFW. It's all about the torque.

Here are the pictures:

With RSTB Mount

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Trunk closed without RSTB Mount (camera with flash and timer)

Camera view half a foot behind rear seats (sitting against amps)

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

If you could get this thing made so that the mount would run along the rear strut bolt, it would fit just fine, but you'd have to completely redesign the mount. Granted, from that point forward it would work with every w-body, guaranteed.