factory remotes?

Mr_Efficiency

I think my car came with a factory remote, but i dont have it. I suspected this cause I have some kind of sensor in the speaker cover on the dash on the drivers side, and my car has every other option so why not this one, lol.

My question is, is there anyway i can get another remote and get it to work?

thanks

btw its a 90 GP

I'm with stupid^

I don't believe my wire's purple.. but I can't remember. Just remove the passenger side trunk carpeting and see if there's a connector that doesn't go to anything. Even if there is, don't get too excited. Ground it to something, and if your locks actually cycle, then you can get excited. Most of the units go bad though.

oh ok, I figured that little sensor was some kind of antena or something for the keyless entry, I'll check the trunk, thanks guys

and if i do have it, what do i do about a remote?

oh ok, I figured that little sensor was some kind of antena or something for the keyless entry, I'll check the trunk, thanks guys

and if i do have it, what do i do about a remote?

eBay, usually about $20 plus shipping. I have one from my 92 I need to sell but I think it is good only for 91-92. my module went bad and tired of screwing with it.

If you get the locks to cycle, and find a remote on ebay, grab some new batteries throw them in the remote, and go back to that wire, ground it out on something again, keep it grounded while you press any button on the remote, if you hear the locks click again, the remote is programmed for you car. That is the programming procedure that the local Gm dealership told me to use. I'd also go to the dealer with you VIN# and year, make, model and they will give you a part number, punch that number in on ebay and you should be able to find a used one, or new wichever you choose. My 96 Cutlass came with a remote, but it's cracked and shit, I think I found several used ones on ebay for under $20. The Chrysler dealer wanted $125 for a new one for our Grand Voyager, I bought one off ebay used for $12.

thanks thats what i wanted to hear, I was wondering how the remote knew what car it was operating cause i knew just any remote wouldnt automatically work on any car, that would cause a lot of crazy issues, lol

Another sure fire way to check for factory keyless is to look for AU0 on the Service Parts ID sheet... it's the one with all the 3-digit codes, usually on the spare tire cover.

No AU0 = no keyless.

Just to note, the above only works if your spare tire cover is present and is the one that came with the car, and if the digits are legible. :cool: