Going to get the TGP ready for a tranny

Psych0matt

Ok, so I have tuesday and thursday off this week, and I want to start getting ready to hopefully have Ken come up and swap in this other tranny. I guess mostly I need to know what things should I break loose just to make sure they can come loose first, and what other things I should prep for something that will hopefully take only a day, providing I take the precautionary steps to make sure we run into as few problems as possible.

also, what would you do? Pull the tranny/motor out the top, or drop the cradle, lift the car, and slide it out from under?

i found it easy to drop the motor tranny and subframe all in one. i was able to do it all by myself without to much hassle. now mind you i didn't have to lift the car up because i had cut the front off the car so i was able to just slide it all forward. just make sure you get the subframe bolts loose, other then that you should be ok. if you could get all the plumbing, wiring and steering column disconected too that would save you some time when ken shows up to pop the new tranny in.

i know this is probably stuff you already know, but i am trying to atleast be a little helpful.

Personally, I would drop the cradle. Get a engine support holder, or a 2'x4' lol, and support the engine.

Drop the cradle, replace the cradle mounts, and check out the rack, ball joints, tie rods, while your down there.

Otherwise your pulling the engine, which isn't tough, but just seems like more work.

otc-1725.gif

^Thats what I'm talking about.

Depending on the mileage, if your going to pull the engine I would consider doing a full-over of it. (re-gasket the engine, check heads. ETC.

well the engine runs pretty well, although I do eventually need to do the UIM gasket, as it has an issue where when its still cold, it wants to stall out if you give it any gas, but once it's about halfway warmed up it's fine. I plan on getting new lower mounts and tranny mounts, and cleaning whatever I can a bit, as well as inspecting the wiring/cradle/frame parts etc.

well the engine runs pretty well, although I do eventually need to do the UIM gasket, as it has an issue where when its still cold, it wants to stall out if you give it any gas, but once it's about halfway warmed up it's fine. I plan on getting new lower mounts and tranny mounts, and cleaning whatever I can a bit, as well as inspecting the wiring/cradle/frame parts etc.

Well if your going to replace the mounts, do it all at once.