coil pack bad?

Hootymo

how do i know when the coil packs are bad? do all 3 go at once? will the car still start or not? i think my coils are bad but im not sure... all help would be much appreciated, i need some info on the coil packs. thanks.

what leads you to belive that these are bad? need more symptoms to help. usually only one coil will go bad at a time you can test them with a ohm meter. You will have problem with 2 cylinders' there is also a possibility of ignition control module being bad. If you need to get the icm checked autozone has a machine to check it out.

i have a no start condition, and i know its not the wires or the plugs, and i know it could be the ICM, coils, or the crank position sensor. so i guess i need to use the process of elmination to figure this one out. what happens when the ICM goes bad? is there any way to know?

If the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is dead, the car won't run.

If a single coil goes out you'll misfire or not fire at all on the pair of cylinders it's connected to.

I personally had an ICM go out on a A-Body and completely stoped the car in it's tracks.

To determine, I would check for spark on all six cylinders and refer to what Lukee1982 stated.

* oh... another acronym to add to my list... excellent! *

- Erik

Hard downshifts are a sign of a bad coil, so if that is happing to you, then maybe coils. But, the crank sensor likes to go bad. Get an inductive timing light and see if you are getting spark on the wires. If you are getting spark, just not at a normal rate, then a coil. If you arent getting spark at the wires, then the crank sensor is a good place to start, since the ECM depends on its signal to fire the ICM, which fires the coils

Robby

I remember on my 92 Grand Am with the Quad 4, my Ignition Module went bad and fried one of my coils. So I was running on 2 cylinders, I didn't make it to far down the road. :lol: My cat converter was cherry red when I finally gave up, because of all the fuel dumping through the 2 cylinders and out the exhaust. I honestly thought it was my cat converter at the time to because I had a loss of power and when I looked underneath my car the cat converter was cherry red, so I instantly thought it was plugged. I was so pissed when I tore all that apart only to find that the converter was fine! Then I figured out it was my ignition module.

Aaron