Oil For Winter Storage

Hairdo12

I currently Use Amsoil series 2000 0W-30. I last changed the oil back in March and it has about 5000 miles on it. Should I even bother changing the oil for winter storage, or should I/Can I change it with something like Super Tec 5w-30 synthetic? I would change back to Amsoil come spring. The Series 2000 0w-30 claims its good for 30000 miles or one year of driving. I will maybe drive it on the occasonal sunny day in the winter.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I don't need every penis pump offering their opinion regarding the value of the car. I am asking a question about oils.

0w30 is a bit thin, but if you are going to change it when you bring it out of storage, no use in changing it when you put it in, it's all just gonna sit in the pan anyways.

Yeah when we store our SS in the winter, we just leave the oil that's in it. We start it and pull it out of the garage probably once/twice a month and then change the oil when we bring it home for the nice weather.

I currently Use Amsoil series 2000 0W-30. I last changed the oil back in March and it has about 5000 miles on it. Should I even bother changing the oil for winter storage, or should I/Can I change it with something like Super Tec 5w-30 synthetic? I would change back to Amsoil come spring. The Series 2000 0w-30 claims its good for 30000 miles or one year of driving. I will maybe drive it on the occasonal sunny day in the winter.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I don't need every penis pump offering their opinion regarding the value of the car. I am asking a question about oils.

If you are referring to my comment you are way off base. My comment had nothing to do with the value of your car. I don't even know what kind of car you drive.

My observation is if its a newer car the motor will run 200-300k miles regardless of what oil you use in the car so don't waste your money.

Obviously since you added a smart assed remark like that, it's probably worth nothing anyway...

The owner of this car used Amsoil too look at how much he saved !!!

crappycar.jpg

I've had it sit for the winter a number of times, and i've driven on the oil after storage for a bit with no problems :dunno: I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially on your engine, as long as you're taking care of it otherwise, which it sounds like it. The 60*s are pretty bullet proof

I've had it sit for the winter a number of times, and i've driven on the oil after storage for a bit with no problems :dunno: I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially on your engine, as long as you're taking care of it otherwise, which it sounds like it. The 60*s are pretty bullet proof

I will leave the oil in, thanks!

Okay girls...back to business.

Now Hairdo...I don't think you need to do a single thing. Why? You're using Amsoil Synthetic...it would be a waste of money to change the oil now. You're using some of the best oil available, so honestly I don't think you're going to have any issues.

I also run the Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 in my cutlass. I haven't had a problem running 0W-30 for almost 4 years now! I've already driven 13,000+ miles so far this year, and I wouldn't consider running anything else in my cutty. With the amount of miles I drive every week, I'd rather run the best stuff.

Change the oil in the fall before you store it. Reasons? Previously mentioned acids and other crap that gets in the oil after a season of driving. Get it nice and hot, change it with fresh "insert whatever grade here", then store it. Starting it periodically and not running it is a waste, IMO. Unless you get it up to full temp to remove moisture then you're not doing much good, plus you're not gonna drive it, its a pain to get out there, and if stored, you should at least disconnect the battery. I pull my battery and store it somewhere warmer then the cold winter air. Then, in the spring, you're good to go, run the year, and next fall, do it again.

I change the oil in my cars once a year, whether they need it or not. Cost of owning the car. Most of mine don't exceed 3000 miles a year, I use Mobil 1.

As for 0W-30...its a nice oil. I'm not going to get into oil weight discussions, search my posts for a great link, but I'd run it if I wasn't so old school.

Wish I could find the link posted a couple of months ago regarding oil. Essentially it said that 0W30 is the best oil to use unless you are running running formula races. A better brand of oil will not only extend the life of your engine to 400 or 500K miles but with the reduced friction will increase compression when you tack on 100 or 200K. Keep doing what you are doing, and if you are worried about the acidity of the oil, run a test on it.

Wish I could find the link posted a couple of months ago regarding oil. Essentially it said that 0W30 is the best oil to use unless you are running running formula races. A better brand of oil will not only extend the life of your engine to 400 or 500K miles but with the reduced friction will increase compression when you tack on 100 or 200K. Keep doing what you are doing, and if you are worried about the acidity of the oil, run a test on it.

I concur! I honestly don't think he'll have a problem with acidity. For how much the Amsoil costs, if there isn't much mileage so far, it'd be a waste to drain it.

I am still leaning towards leaving the amsoil in for the winter. When checking the oil, it still has a nice golden color to it.

Just out of curiosity, how does one test the acidity of oil? I don't think you can use those strips from your chem lab kit.

...I am up to chapter two from that link, so far an interesting read.

That would be litmus paper and yes you can use them to test the pH of your oil

If you are the crazy about it go to fish tank store and buy a pH meter

for those of you who are interested pH is the negative logarithm of hydrogen ion content.

You really have nothing to worry about.. this isn't some sort of fragile engine we're talking about. It's DESIGNED to be beat into oblivion, have long oil-change intervals, and fall into general disrepair and still come out smelling like roses. Leave the oil in, and don't worry about it. If the 3.4 in Chris' Euro can sit for two years with gasoline in the oil, then start up and run like it never missed a beat, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Your engine will be fine.

You really have nothing to worry about.. this isn't some sort of fragile engine we're talking about. It's DESIGNED to be beat into oblivion, have long oil-change intervals, and fall into general disrepair and still come out smelling like roses. Leave the oil in, and don't worry about it. If the 3.4 in Chris' Euro can sit for two years with gasoline in the oil, then start up and run like it never missed a beat, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Your engine will be fine.

When it comes down to it, you are completely correct. Unless you plan on owned the car for the rest of YOUR life, they are designed to have the crap beat out of them regardless. Most of the stuff above is to MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, the car really doesn't care.