End of a Beautiful Life

MaroonRegal

The Buick is officially dead. In four years I managed to take an excellent specimen of a '96 GranSport and totally destroy it. It is a sad day. It did survive 3 deer, 4 years of fast driving, and countless other abuses and good memories. Last Monday I was driving along at a relatively low speed and all of a sudden I heard a huge clunking noise as I watched my tach go way up and my speedo slowly drop. Shit, I said...that's the transmission. Sure enough, it exploded with such force that even the transmission case has a hole in it. It's gonna cost me about $2G to fix it, so I'm just going to have to admit that this car has seen it's last days on the road. I thought you guys might like to know.

On the bright side, I'm selling a 3800 Series II with 130,000 miles. It's in great shape and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go another 100,000. I think it's worth about $600, but I'm taking best offer. I'll put it in the Sale Section.

:sad:

Also, has anybody ever owned a Saab? My frontrunner in the hunt for a new car is an '88 Saab 900 Turbo. It's in great shape but it's got 200,000 miles. Anybody who knows anything about Saab's, let me know.

I fixed the grenaded Diff in my cutlass for about 250$ and a weekend of my time. I wouldn't give up on it. The fluid in my trans was full of particles and was black as tar. Flushed all that out and i've put about 20 000 miles on it so far without any troubles.

I'm sorry to hear that. Although GM transmissions are not terrible, they're certainly not anything to write home about. Its sad to see the car go, but judging by your description it might be time.

Wow that sucks to hear man! Although, I was expecting this thread to have a lot worse outcome. Your car was nice, I remember seeing pics from a ways back when I first joined.

I fixed the grenaded Diff in my cutlass for about 250$ and a weekend of my time. I wouldn't give up on it. The fluid in my trans was full of particles and was black as tar. Flushed all that out and i've put about 20 000 miles on it so far without any troubles.

Yeah...the transmission case has a hole in it. Unfortunately it's not worth my time or money because I've been replacing some part or another every four months for the last year and a half. I love this car, but it's no longer economically practical to keep her running.

Is it just the differential carrier that has a hole in it, or the whole case? If its just the carrier, i picked up a new one for like 45$ If its something else that blew, then yea, i'd probably say its time too.