newbie: TGP help

TPG Greg

hi. i just bought my first turbo grand prix yesterday. and i got a few questions.

the first one is about the brake master cylinder. i think it needs a new one or rebuilt.

i priced a reman it was like over $600 i looks like to me the ABS and master cylinder are all one piece.

so i was wondering if any one has rebuilt one.

the brake pedal dosn't come all the way back up, and some one put a spring on it to keep the brake light from staying on.

also need a few parts if any one has any

a 91 up dash pad with HUD hole, or a 89 HUD unit (have a 91 HUD unit)

lower front valence

heater/AC control with good buttons

turbo wastgate solenoid

gauge cluster window (mine's cracked)

Hey and welcome to the TGP world! There's plenty of knowledge here and many of us know these cars inside and out, just remember to ask questions and use the search button.

- Check eBay for the dash pad, every once in a while one goes for sale on the forum

- The lower front valences are hard to come by, and many members pay upwards of $200 for a used one, so if you find one in a junkyard or on eBay, try and snatch it up...check your junkyard.

- Heater/AC controls are on eBay, I priced two of them on there between $20 and $30.

- Perhaps one of the members has a wategate solenoid they would be willing to part with

- The gauge cluster window I'm not sure about...if you are able to remove the front plastic peice, then you should be able to match it up with one from any GP between 88 and 93...don't quote me.

Again, welcome!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your TGP purchase! The heater/ac controls and gauge cluster window can be had from any 88-93 Grand Prix- check the junkyards. Also, I believe I saw a dashpad up on ebay a few days ago... check ebay for parts, you are very likely to find what you are looking for there. $600 isn't bad for a new reman PowerMasterIII... if you got a new one, you wouldnt have to worry about anything being bad or needing replacement on it.

Feel free to ask any questions, there are lots of people on here who would be happy to help ya out!

hi. i just bought my first turbo grand prix yesterday. and i got a few questions.

the first one is about the brake master cylinder. i think it needs a new one or rebuilt.

i priced a reman it was like over $600 i looks like to me the ABS and master cylinder are all one piece.

the brake pedal dosn't come all the way back up, and some one put a spring on it to keep the brake light from staying on.

remove the spring from under the brake pedal. there's nothing wrong with the pedal not coming all the way back up - the problem is only that the brake light switch is out of alignment. if you look under the dash near the brake pedal, you will see a few things.

the 1st is a small black plastic cylinder-looking switch with a vacuum line leading from it - this is the cutout switch for the cruise control. when someone pulls up on the brake pedal, this switch pops out of it's mount location a bit. the pedal always rests at a certain spot, but the cruise switch presses against it (seat side, not firewall side). if this switch gets pushed out of the mounting point, there is nothing limiting that extra half inch of pedal travel, so the pedal seems loose and gives the impression that it's not staying up all the way.

also, when the pedal is pulled up, it pulls the brake light switch out of alignment. it must be set again for your brake lights to stop coming on. it's not hard to do (at least not if you don't have giant hands), but it's difficult to explain.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,23484.0.html

review that, I typed it up in detail, it might take a little while to get it.

Many people here have rebuilt Power Master 3 ABS units. Most get them from Prior Manufacturing - this is the ONLY place I would get a reman from for these units. You do not necessarily need a whole unit, but if you do, there's a piece that leaks over time, and they are the only place that has a completely redesigned piece to replace it.

http://www.kazmotorsports.com/tpsgarage/

bookmark that site. Review the Powermaster III Info section.

remove the spring from under the brake pedal. there's nothing wrong with the pedal not coming all the way back up - the problem is only that the brake light switch is out of alignment. if you look under the dash near the brake pedal, you will see a few things.

the 1st is a small black plastic cylinder-looking switch with a vacuum line leading from it - this is the cutout switch for the cruise control. when someone pulls up on the brake pedal, this switch pops out of it's mount location a bit. the pedal always rests at a certain spot, but the cruise switch presses against it (seat side, not firewall side). if this switch gets pushed out of the mounting point, there is nothing limiting that extra half inch of pedal travel, so the pedal seems loose and gives the impression that it's not staying up all the way.

also, when the pedal is pulled up, it pulls the brake light switch out of alignment. it must be set again for your brake lights to stop coming on. it's not hard to do (at least not if you don't have giant hands), but it's difficult to explain.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,23484.0.html

review that, I typed it up in detail, it might take a little while to get it.

Many people here have rebuilt Power Master 3 ABS units. Most get them from Prior Manufacturing - this is the ONLY place I would get a reman from for these units. You do not necessarily need a whole unit, but if you do, there's a piece that leaks over time, and they are the only place that has a completely redesigned piece to replace it.

http://www.kazmotorsports.com/tpsgarage/

bookmark that site. Review the Powermaster III Info section.

this is funny, this is the first time i seen your post. i crawled up under the dash today and figured it out.

it was word for word as you explain.

i was thinking about it to day and thinking that the pedal was to high.

i also have a problem with the stereo i have a crackle coming out the right side and ignition noise.

i put a ground wire from the EQ/Tape unit. it made the ignition noise a lot quieter but still there.

the crackle noise it worse when you first tern it on and kind of fades out after a min. but it's still there.

i figured one of the stereo parts has bad solider joints. i don't know if any one has had problems like this before

and could help narrow it down.

also dose any one have any wiring diagrams for a 89 HUD and 91 HUD also the stereo(manly the one for the connector to the tape/eq). i want to put in a AUX jack. ive done this before on a Sunbird that had a simuler radio.

check FAQ for my HUD thread. the info is there.

my 91 vert had a smaller size bungee cord holding the pedal up. it DID NOT return at all without the bungee! however far you were able to push it w/o the PMIII functioning, which it never worked for me, it stayed.

my 91 vert had a smaller size bungee cord holding the pedal up. it DID NOT return at all without the bungee! however far you were able to push it w/o the PMIII functioning, which it never worked for me, it stayed.

speaking of verts, here locally there is a 96 green/tan leather quad cam with 32k mi on it some one could get real cheap. like $2000 needs a little TLC but would make a nice car. main thing it needs is a top.

speaking of verts, here locally there is a 96 green/tan leather quad cam with 32k mi on it some one could get real cheap. like $2000 needs a little TLC but would make a nice car. main thing it needs is a top.

what? actually you must be speaking of a 95.

where is it/where are you?

can you get the VIN number from that car, and if you can, find out the date of manufacture from the drivers door tag?

The crackling sound may be that your factory amplifier is on it's way out.

my STE's is making a horrible deep HUMMMMMMMMM from the rear speakers that only stops when I unplug the amp. I figured I needed a new one..

in the meantime the old TGP's amp is in there, but that amp doesn't even have outputs that go to the rear speakers :shrug: the pins aren't there.

what? actually you must be speaking of a 95.

where is it/where are you?

can you get the VIN number from that car, and if you can, find out the date of manufacture from the drivers door tag?

the guy told me it's a 96 he could be wrong.

i do know it's one last years with the round dash it has heater controls on steering wheel

it's in chattanooga TN

if int. shoot me an e-mail addy i'll send some pics

Welcome to the TGP community! Any pics of the car? I bought my first TGP in June and i love it! Sounds like we share some of the same problems tho, ABS and HUD lol. My car is going to need a new master cylinder soon i think.

Welcome to the TGP community! Any pics of the car? I bought my first TGP in June and i love it! Sounds like we share some of the same problems tho, ABS and HUD lol. My car is going to need a new master cylinder soon i think.

ouch, i was thinking mine was going bad and priced new unit it was like $1000. but i think its fine someone had done a lot of riggen' on it. the most trouble i've been having with the brakes is the main pump relay. i keep trying to fix it and it keeps getting stuck on or off.

my car has 88k miles and gave $2500 for it. it has been sitting on a used car lot for a year. the guy just couldn't sell it because know one knew what it was. people see 89 grand prix they think $800 car. :rolleyes:

i'm wanting to put a 91 hud in my car if i can fined the wiring di's for it. going to hit the junk yards tomorrow to fined a dash pad.