Radiator cooling fans

Mint Euro92

I have come to find that the cooling fans will only operate with the a/c on. Would this be a problem with a coolant temp switch or something else ? This is on a 92 euro 3.1 code t engine. And does anyone know a test for that sensor & its location on the engine ? TIA

Guest TurboSedan

the primary fan should come on when the engine gets hot. the secondary will only come on with the A/C on. check the big 60A fuse in the relay center under the hood, but if your fans ARE coming on then i would suspect a bad coolant temp sensor or :?: the coolant sensor is mounted in the rear head (sorta the corner of the head) below the throttle body. mine has one green wire coming out of it. i had both of my fans out the other day and they look identical to me. my problem was a bad primary fan so i swapped the secondary fan into it's place and plugged the primary fan into it (fixed). i don't have A/C working right now anyway so my secondary fan was just a 'spare' sitting there anyway. good luck

joshua

That is right, BUT, doesnt the coolant temp sensor, the one on the lower intake, control the fans?? Im pretty sure it does and when my T-stat went out, the fans wouldnt come on, cuz that sensor was reading cooler coolant than was in the motor, and thus the coolant temp light came on (the coolant temp light is controlled by the sensor you mentioned, Joshua). I hope thats right. So, it could either be your sensor, like Malibuolds said, or your T-stat. The primary should come on at 220*

Robby

That is right, BUT, doesnt the coolant temp sensor, the one on the lower intake, control the fans?? Im pretty sure it does and when my T-stat went out, the fans wouldnt come on, cuz that sensor was reading cooler coolant than was in the motor, and thus the coolant temp light came on (the coolant temp light is controlled by the sensor you mentioned, Joshua). I hope thats right. So, it could either be your sensor, like Malibuolds said, or your T-stat. The primary should come on at 220*

Robby

You could be right about it being a t-stat I think its stuck open cause on the hiway at speed it wont get over 180 * Ill try the t-stat first & if that dont help Ill go for the CTS under the Throttle body