Bizzo

Hey guys,

Haven't been on here in awhile as I sold my regal, but my brother just picked up a nice 1994 cutlass supreme two door w/ the 3100 and he's having a few issues with it. When he's accelerating around 40-50 the car will "stutter" until it gets up around 60 and most times it throws an engine light. I figured his car would be easy since it's obd 1 I could just use a paper clip to pull the codes. Well that didn't work and when he went to autozone they said they didn't have the right scanner for it. When I look online I can't find a definitive answer as to whether it's obd 1 or 2. So I figured I'd ask here since you guys must know. :biggrin:

A few Advanced Auto Parts have the correct scan tool, but only a select few. Otherwise, someone with the correct scan tool or a stealership...

really no advanced around here has the right tool, i go through hell with my car but i work at a garage so we have the correct adapter to make it work. It is Obd1 with an obd2 interface

94 is an OBD1 port....

but it is not wired as obd 1, nor is it an obd 1 compliant computer.

thanks. any shop with decent scan tools such as the snap on or the genesys should definately be able to pull codes for you,. The connector has to be plugged into a 12v source and the ALDL to be able to work :mrgreen:

I never understood why GM would do something so stupid, everyone runs away from OBD 1.5 cars, I had 2 Grand Ams when I was building my stock car, a 95 and a 91, the 95 was mint and the 91 had a lot of rust and other issues but since the 95 was OBD 1.5 I stripped it of the suspension and scraped it and spent all winter fixing the 91, plus I liked the 91 body style better but I was really leaning towards the 95 just cause of teh body being mint but once i found out about the OBD 1.5 thing it was off to the scrap yard.

People are alittle harder on the obd 1.5 than necessary, with the right equipment it really isnt a problem in my Dad's 1994 supreme and it actually reads more data than my OBD 2.0 III ecm in my Intrigue

Why can't you "paper clip it"? If it is an OBD 1 system with a OBD 2 interface like somebody here mentioned, I would think there would be some way to jump some wires and make a light flash...

As far as GM cares, people still bought them, GM has the scanners, it is a success in their book...