How could this happen to me?

Addicted to eaton

Soi went to get on the highway today and I noticed my car over heating so I pulled off the highway and put it in park. And shut it off. Got out opend the hood and there was no water in it. And there was no water in the radiator. So I checked the oil and I found my water. Grrr. I just hope it is only a head gasket. The oil looks like a green milky witeish slime. my car just got to 140,000 yesterday lol. obviously she did not like it. i have had the car for about a month and i only gave 900 dollars for it.

60% of the time the bearings are shot all the time.

:lol:

If you overheated it really really badly you might have toasted something. Guaranteed the life of the bearings has been shortened, but if there was no knocking or severe overheating you should be ok.

How much water are we talking in the oil? Have you been adding anti-freeze repeatedly?

He said "The oil looks like a green milky witeish slime"

Those bearings are shot.

He may not be knocking now, but the moment everything is flushed through with clean oil, expect it start hammering hard.

i have YET to blow up an engine from antifreeze being in the oil... and have repaired countless that had a head / intake gasket blow, sure its possble if let go long enough. but it isan't THAT bad.

i have YET to blow up an engine from antifreeze being in the oil... and have repaired countless that had a head / intake gasket blow, sure its possble if let go long enough. but it isan't THAT bad.

Re-read what he said.... slowly.... let it sink in

"The oil looks like a green milky witeish slime"

His case is catastrophic failure and he obvoiusly didn't catch it early on.....

It is debateable. If he cought it it may not be too bad but a different engine may be a good idea. My plymouth ran great for over a month dumping antifreeze in the oil lol, i just changed the oil once a week lolol, on top of all that the car had 275000 miles on it and the new owner actually had the time to repair it :mrgreen:

"The oil looks like a green milky witeish slime"

His case is catastrophic failure and he obvoiusly didn't catch it early on.....

the same thing happened to my car when my intake gasket's went, and the engine is still running great.

:lol: at this thread!!!

This is why when your LIM fails and you know it, you dont drive it until its fixed... When you fix the gasket, you drain the oil and put fresh oil in the car.... let it warm up, then change the oil again... and bam enjoy your fixed engine!

Yes coolant is bad for the engine if you let the LIM continue to leak and drive it with anti-freeze in the oil....

Even if you could be right (and it's a toss-up, things like this are never 100% positive, as evidenced by the number of engines I see day in and day out running in various states of intake gasket failure and post-repair at the Chevy dealer I work at) do you have to be so condescending about it?

Even if you could be right (and it's a toss-up, things like this are never 100% positive, as evidenced by the number of engines I see day in and day out running in various states of intake gasket failure and post-repair at the Chevy dealer I work at) do you have to be so condescending about it?

I have 11 outta 13 instances where the bearings were wiped from the coolant... 6 people decided to replace their engines, the other 5 scrapped them. The coolant wiping the mains isn't anything new to me... Hopefully my car never sees the same fate :frown:

Is it bad I had to wiki the work 'condescending'??? I swear the last person I heard say that word was my grandmother years ago before her stroke.

Yeah... If you get coolant/water in the crankcase and dont detroy bearings, you are one lucky SOB... I dont think you guys realize just how quickly they get wiped. Not to meantion how much heat is built up......

i have had 2 cavaliers that had a blown head gasket.and one even had a cracked head. Put the gaskets/head in flushed the oil and fluid and was good as new. My car as never over heated. Today was the first time. and i put the sob in nutral and turned it off and costed to the side.I have never had to add water as it didnt really use any. Its not really a slime i guess. i think if replace the head gasket and it will be just fine. There was no knocking. I have a 1999 chevy silverado and i went and had my sister drive it and pulled me to our shop were my car sets now. I bought this car on the like 22 of last month and hey what happens happens i have a 3100 from my black grand prix that runs fine. but i really plan on fixing it as a week end cruiser. (it got hit in the door all i need now is a body pice from a b4u to go over the driver side fender.

Jeebus, I hate it when you get the all knowing ppls ranting about what you gotta do. I have had 3 cars that have had blown gaskets. One blew at 98k miles. I drove it for 5 days befor it started over heating. I replaced the head gasket, and the mains finnaly gave out at 288k miles. I had one that the gasket went, I drove it for 2 weeks, replaced the head, and the motor started knocking 2 weeks later. So yes it can go both ways.

Personally, I say replace the gaskets, and see what it does. It sounds like you might have caught it early enuf, but dont let it sit there with water in the motor until you figure it out. Do a oil change on it, run it for about 10 mins with no coolant, than change the oil again. At least then the water is out of the engine and cant do any more harm. Then you can figure out what you are going to do.

Could you replace the motor? You could, thats what any high dollar mechanic shop is going to tell you to do, it means more money for them.

Should you replace the motor? only if you like throwing money at a problem that you dont know the answer too. Make a educated decision, and decide for yourself.

As I said befor, i wouldnt replace the motor until I know thats what is required.

Fixing a headgasket requires as much money and more time than putting another engine in it. Not to mention the lovely turn-around time from a machine shop to have the heads checked and resurfaced...

For example, my 96 3100....

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=101&ptset=A&searchfor=Head+Set

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=ES74017

Thats $157.98 plus $24.98.... $193 with tax in my area... figure about $150-$250 for a competent machine shop to check and resurface the heads.

Head gaskets and intake gaskets cost $300 if you do it right and replace the thermostat and tune the car up while you are there you will have $500 into air filter, themrostat, oil, antifreeze, plugs, wires and other gaskets and expenses. Not to mention doing all that work is about the same amount of time as just pulling the motor and replacing it with another one. There is no risk of lower end failure when you replace the engine and it will cost less than $500 and its an easy way to pick up 25-35 hp without sacraficing fuel economy and with a lower mile engine you are sure to extend the life of your car not even considering the fact there has been water inside your crank case. Its a no brainer to me I'm not a know it all nor do I claim to be. Its just some friendly advice. Nothing worse than dropping $500 and 6 hours into an engine that you will end up hauling to the scrap yard. HOSED !!!

Head gaskets and intake gaskets cost $300 if you do it right and replace the thermostat and tune the car up while you are there you will have $500 into air filter, themrostat, oil, antifreeze, plugs, wires and other gaskets and expenses. Not to mention doing all that work is about the same amount of time as just pulling the motor and replacing it with another one. There is no risk of lower end failure when you replace the engine and it will cost less than $500 and its an easy way to pick up 25-35 hp without sacraficing fuel economy and with a lower mile engine you are sure to extend the life of your car not even considering the fact there has been water inside your crank case. Its a no brainer to me I'm not a know it all nor do I claim to be. Its just some friendly advice. Nothing worse than dropping $500 and 6 hours into an engine that you will end up hauling to the scrap yard. HOSED !!!

Well, I don't agree that anyone was HOSED in this thread, but replacing the engine yourself with a lower-mileage used engine is probably a more cost-effective solution.

And no, coolant in the oil doesn't always mean a toasted engine.