what is security lighting??

Hootymo

i have always wondered what the security lighting "feature" in my grand prix was for, since all it seems to do for me is leave the lights on forever! why dont they turn off? whats the point of this "feature"? am i doing something wrong that the lights never go off when the security lighting is turned on? what gives?

Security lighting.. it is SUPPOSED to turn off your headlights after like 10-45 seconds after you shut off the car... gives you a chance to get into the house or work with some light, instead of pitch black darkness.

My '89 has it, but like you said, it never shuts the lights off. They'll stay on til the battery dies.

My '89 also has it. What it does is turn on the headlights, interior lights, and lock cylinder lights when you pull on the exterior door handle or lock the door from the inside and close it. The lights are on a timer that you can adjust, so your lights should go off (mine do go off). If they don't, maybe the control switch is bad.

I guess the feature is there to aid you in getting in or out of the car in the dark.

so a lot of people do have this on their grand prix's? whose actually works? am i doing something wrong? does anyone have a more technical how to to make it actually work? it looks like a nice feature, especially since when i go to work its dark in a bad part of town and it would be very nice to know im safe. thanks!

i have security lighting on my '94 Prix. however, my headlights don't go on nor does my lock cylinder. only my interior lamp and that stays on for about 15 seconds and dims out gradually.

i have security lighting on my '94 Prix. however, my headlights don't go on nor does my lock cylinder. only my interior lamp and that stays on for about 15 seconds and dims out gradually.

That is a little different than the ones in the older GP's. The older ones have a slider switch to turn it on/off and set the delay.

90/91?-96 doesnt have it. 94-96 definatley doesnt have it. when i had my 89 gp mine worked fine........maybe you have the switch slid all the way up?? they stay on almost a minute before they shut off. a minute is an eternity when ur staring at ur headlights hoping they go off

In my reply, I said that the lights came on when you locked the door from the inside and closed it. Well, I may have been wrong... I was going by what the owners manual said. It's been probably 3 years since I've used the feature, so I tried it out again. They do come on when you pull on the outside door handle, but also when you turn the ignition off. I verified this in the Pontiac shop manual. By the way, the timer circuit still does work on mine (lights do turn off).

The timer is part of the light switch assembly. If it's not working, the whole light switch will need to be replaced (can get them cheap on eBay).

As for what years had this type of security lighting, I have a light switch that came from a '90 (the style used from '90 to '93) that has it. The '89 light switch assembly has a side-to-side slider hanging off the bottom while the '90 light switch assembly has a up & down slider on the lower right (the spot that's usually blank under the dimming slider). I don't know if this feature continued to '93.

I had a similar problem in my Mercury Sable. The auto headlights wouldn't turn off no matter what I set the delay to. Turned out my delay slider was bad. I fixed it by taking it apart and cleaning the oxidized contacts and bending them out a little more so they would make better contact. This might fix yours too, because I'm pretty sure the delay slider is just a variable resistor.

Did 90-93 ever have it? It's documented in my manual (I think), but my 90 doesn't have it. It has everything else.