Serious question about my 1996 buick regal, a clunk when u hit the gas in rev...

LeeTheDeuce

Hi,

I recently posted about my 1990 lumina. Well i also recently picked up a 1996 buick regal custom. It runs great everything works but I now noticed that when i put it in reverse and then give it some gas. Anything more then a little gas it will make this like 1 time clunk noise. Then when u put it back into drive it will make the clunk noise 1 time again. I'm not sure what this could be. I did get this car from a used car dealer so I mean I can take it back and see what they can do for me, but if I had the problem narrowed down myself I could ensure they are not bsing me.

Thanks again,

Lee

check the dogbones also, those usually make the clunk, but usually the lower mounts wear out the upper. open the hood and have a buddy watch the motor as you go from reverse to drive and it will probably have alot of play

Got this exact problem in my 00 Regal, dealer thought it was some intermediate shaft that needed re-lubrication. Already replaced the dogbones so that wasn't it, because it's still doing it, so I'm thinking the same thing as the guys who have posted here, possible motor or tranny mount.

• 4 months later...

Well now the whole motor is shot and I just bought the car in sept 07, from a dealership! had to get the upper intake all fixed which ended up costing 700$ total and 3 days later the whole motor was shot. Thats when I brought it back to the dealership now they are "looking" for a motor. So then when it clunks when I get it back I'll make them change it again. We put over a 1000$ into it in 3 months. after paying 2800$ for it. I also have a 90 lumina that I am also posting about that just developed a problem.

We'll see how it goes.

Lee

Hi,

I recently posted about my 1990 lumina. Well i also recently picked up a 1996 buick regal custom. It runs great everything works but I now noticed that when i put it in reverse and then give it some gas. Anything more then a little gas it will make this like 1 time clunk noise. Then when u put it back into drive it will make the clunk noise 1 time again. I'm not sure what this could be. I did get this car from a used car dealer so I mean I can take it back and see what they can do for me, but if I had the problem narrowed down myself I could ensure they are not bsing me.

Thanks again,

Lee

i want to say cv axle shafts. maybe one was punctured and has worn do to lose of grease?