removing bulb from sealed beam....

Green97SL

I am sure that many of you know how craptacular the low-beam mini-quads are. i have an extra pair i got from a boneyard. i don't remember where, but i have seen a site/post on the net where someone removed the bulb and siliconed in a better one. is this at all worth it? i guess my main questions would be a: will a 9006 bulb have the same plug as the low beam, and b: will the stock harness be able to handle the current? i'd probably leave the high beams alone, i don't use them that much, and they're bright enough.

When I had my Cutty with the mini-quads, I bought a set of Silverstars. I just pretty much twisted off the old sealed bulbs, and the Silverstars hold pretty well w/o the silicone because of the rubber gasket around them. But if you want to use the silicone as a pre-caution, go for it. Other then that, they Silverstars made a noticeable difference, and they never had a problem with the electrical current.

Aaron

Guest TurboSedan

my old '92 Impala 9C1 had blue & red bulbs put into the sealed high beams, so i don't see why you shouldn't be able to do the same. i think mine were siliconed in.

joshua

When I had my Cutty with the mini-quads, I bought a set of Silverstars. I just pretty much twisted off the old sealed bulbs, and the Silverstars hold pretty well w/o the silicone because of the rubber gasket around them. But if you want to use the silicone as a pre-caution, go for it. Other then that, they Silverstars made a noticeable difference, and they never had a problem with the electrical current.

Aaron

so Aaron...i plan on investing in Silverstars. you really like them??

ive got the same headlights, the h4s, on my 93 cutlass supreme, and i was wondering if i do replace my bulbs like you guys are talking about am i gonna hafta mess with the tilt, or anything else and what bulb do i use when replacing them the lows not the highs

ive got the same headlights, the h4s, on my 93 cutlass supreme, and i was wondering if i do replace my bulbs like you guys are talking about am i gonna hafta mess with the tilt, or anything else and what bulb do i use when replacing them the lows not the highs

No, the tilt won't be affected as long as you don't touch it.

You'll be able to remove each lens individually without affect beam direction.

- Erik

Aaron

so Aaron...i plan on investing in Silverstars. you really like them??

Yep, that's the bulbs that I run in my GTP and in my GA GT. They don't last quite as long as a halogen bulb though, because they burn hotter. But they will still last a long time, just don't touch the bulb when you go to put it in. :wink: But as far as my Cutty, I always hated the headlights, especially in the winter! But I think you might be a little bit happier with the Silverstars. Good luck.

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...

They sell the 9006 bulbs on ebay which go in the 4 door cuttys, but this procedure works. I think there is a person on Cardomain that has instructions for the whole procedure.

w-body.jpg

They sell the 9006 bulbs on ebay which go in the 4 door cuttys, but this procedure works. I think there is a person on Cardomain that has instructions for the whole procedure.

Funny... didn't I mention there was a W-Body based site that had the step-by-step procedure? :wink:

With pictures even... :shock:

Side note: Was able to grab on Ebay both pairs of 9005's / 9006's for less than $13.

- Erik