SES light...

89SupremeCutty

the lumi ran great for the first 200 miles, then the SES light came on. still runs good and smooth but the code for the SES is for inoperative egr valve or something like that. code p0401. probly a piece of carbon stuck in there. anthything i can do to fix it other than buy a new egr valve?

i was also thinking of doing a sea foam treatment this weekend. would that make the EGR worse? i was thinking while im under the hood of doing that along with an oil change and motor flush. thanks for the help.

Carb or throttle body cleaner and a little pipe cleaner (the little wire brush) works wonders. You will want to pull off the EGR and clean it, and spray into the ports running into the intake plenum to clean it out properly. Let it soak in a while, and clean it with the little pipe cleaner brush.

Be sure to reset your ecm once your done to reset the code

Sounds like they cleared the code right before you bought it :frown:

couldn't have done that. here in nys, any vehicle 96 or newer with obdII has to go through an inspection computer, which reads wether or not the check engine light is on. and if the battery was disconnected, the codes cleared or the computer was reset, it will automatically fail inspection. the car has to pass something like 5 out of 7 paramaters set by nys. if the battery was disconnected or the codes are cleared or anything like that, the car has to be driven at least 50 miles to reset 5 or all 7 of the paramaters. then it can be re-inspected. besides it took about 150-200 for the light to come on.

when i take it off to clean it out, would i have to get a new gasket for it?

Sounds like they cleared the code right before you bought it :frown:

couldn't have done that. here in nys, any vehicle 96 or newer with obdII has to go through an inspection computer, which reads wether or not the check engine light is on. and if the battery was disconnected, the codes cleared or the computer was reset, it will automatically fail inspection. the car has to pass something like 5 out of 7 paramaters set by nys. if the battery was disconnected or the codes are cleared or anything like that, the car has to be driven at least 50 miles to reset 5 or all 7 of the paramaters. then it can be re-inspected. besides it took about 150-200 for the light to come on.

my bad :high5:

Actually it's 70 miles, according to the inspection station around here, fellow NY'er :)

I have the easy solution though, I don't register my vehicles in NY State LOL

Actually it's 70 miles, according to the inspection station around here, fellow NY'er :)

I have the easy solution though, I don't register my vehicles in NY State LOL

i always thought it was 50.