Time to call out the big guns

NVMY03GT

Alright - I don't really come over to this board until Im just straight up desperate because I know you guys have bigger fish to fry ;-)

Here's the situation. My Turn signal stalk broke off. Yes I mean broke off :) Pictures to follow. Most of it broke off into my hand but part of the metal is still lodged into the steering wheel assembly. My question for you guys is - Is it possible when I take all of it apart to pop the piece through from the back side? I really don't know how to get it out of there. Ive been told normally to remove the stalk just twist forward and pull out but obviously I can't in this case.

Pictures:

Sideofwheel.jpg

You should be able to remove the column shroud and take it out. It should be like 3 screws or so holding the base in. You'll have to pull the wheel though, obviously.

You should be able to remove the column shroud and take it out. It should be like 3 screws or so holding the base in. You'll have to pull the wheel though, obviously.

Thats what I was hoping to avoid. No way around ti though Im guessing? Can I get to it through the access door or does the lock plate and everything need to be removed?

Make sure not to buy that signal switch from the dealer. They'll rape you $125 for it. You'd be MUCH better off finding it at a junkyard (or i can find it for you :biggrin:).

Could you use a very small bit and drill into the metal...Then screw in a small but long sheetmetal screw, use a pair of Vise-Grips on he head and yank the stub out?

Could you use a very small bit and drill into the metal...Then screw in a small but long sheetmetal screw, use a pair of Vise-Grips on he head and yank the stub out?

It took me 45 min. to get my steering wheel off to reach that signal switch, so i don't think its going to be too big of a deal. Good luck either way though.

Tried that - I can't get a bit into there - Actually I tried drilling a screw in first but it kept slipping right off the base so unless its an ultra sharp drollbit I can't get into it :( Ideas?

I know where I used to work we did the same thing using a drill bit but then again it was on big box trucks but it should be the same concept. I would try a different bit.

Jarek

Apparently the metal is a little hard to drill into, I had a couple of guys from maintenance in my building go at it, they broke one drill bit and he started to bend another. hes going to keep fiddling with it but its looking like taking the steering wheel off.

Apparently the metal is a little hard to drill into, I had a couple of guys from maintenance in my building go at it, they broke one drill bit and he started to bend another. hes going to keep fiddling with it but its looking like taking the steering wheel off.

Honestly, taking the steering wheel off isn't really that big of a deal. I've done it twice on my regal and it doesn't take more than 45 minutes, provided you have the right tools.

Honestly, taking the steering wheel off isn't really that big of a deal. I've done it twice on my regal and it doesn't take more than 45 minutes, provided you have the right tools.

thats the part I don't have is the Steering wheel puller etc.. I was trying to avoid purchasing one considering Id use it what 3-4 times a year?

thats the part I don't have is the Steering wheel puller etc.. I was trying to avoid purchasing one considering Id use it what 3-4 times a year?

I rented mine. If you go to an auto store, you can rent these tools for free and bring them back within 30 or 60 days. I decided to keep mine ($20) with the notion that I'll probably need it again for the same faulty signal switch, and I'm going to have to use it again soon.

$20 is a small price to pay for how much easier it makes your job.

Steering wheel pullers arn't necessary. Just watch your head.

When I had to get mine off, I sat there for at least an hour trying to pry it out with my bare hands. Yeah...so much for that...