Sticking sending unit?

CSI_MuNkY

Ever since I got that fuel pump fuse problem fixed I have had another problem...

My gas gauge seems to stick. It will be fine for the first half of the tank and then it seems to all of a sudden drop from 1/2 tank to nothing in a matter of minutes.

For the last little while I have been keeping track of how many liters I have put in the car and just refueling when the DIC says I have consumed that much gas, but the DIC can't be perfect and is probably not the greatest thing to go by.

Now, I'm thinking that the float is sticking or something. The sending unit, tank and pump are all new within the last 6 months. Is there anything I can add to my gas incase the float is just gummed up? Hell, is there even a float, or is there a different type of sensor in there?

If I can't get it fixed I'll be taking it to one of the 2 places that touched my fuel system and telling them to fix it without billing me, but I'd rather avoid a confrontation at either shop.

Jamie

when's the last time you seafoamed everything? if not recently, i would do the whole car and put some in the tank. if recently but no other fuel system cleaner lately, BG 44K is pretty strong. you could also try some zylene and marvel mystery oil (dont do it w/o researching first). it is a float. mine does that, too, just not as bad. im going to do a new sending unit w/ walbro pump sometime.

I wouldn't bother. In perfect condition, these gas gauges still suck more dick than Lindsay Lohan. I've ran out of gas numerous times, while the gauge still says I have a couple gallons left.

See, the thing is before the fuel system was last touched, it worked fine. Always went down nice and smoothly, not so much now.

If I end up dropping the tank... I'm cutting a hole in the damn floor and making a trap door for the next time I need at the damn unit.

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

it seems to be happening alot lately that when people replace their pumps, the handling of the sending unit makes it start dying. they arent the toughest part on the car.....

it seems to be happening alot lately that when people replace their pumps, the handling of the sending unit makes it start dying. they arent the toughest part on the car.....

True, and how much does the part run for? It probbaly should be replaced if ever the tank is dropped.